Guys, it's not funny. How to add script to Catalog?

Features wanted...
fx.practic

Guys, it's not funny. How to add script to Catalog?

Post by fx.practic »

I am really not quite sure who are you targeting on.
You made tons of cool features, but who will use them?

I spent ~1 hour without success trying to add Select All command to the Catalog.
And my question: what path are you expected from me to go through to let it work? And how much time should it take?

After all this, I amn't even sure if I should add #250 into a file and then drop it and then edit properties somehow, or should I enter #250 somewhere in properties of a new item. Or not #250?

In the PDF doc file there are 75 "Select All" items.
CHM file doesn't allow to search on the current page. It's literally impossible to find "Select all" or "#250" on "Scripting Commands Reference" in CHM file.

This is not OK, really.
Is productivity born or dying here?
Or what am I doing wrong?

Please, if someone will be so kind to answer, I am really interesting in learning path rather than exact solution.

fx.practic

Re: Guys, it's not funny. How to add script to Catalog?

Post by fx.practic »

Yahoo.

I found a way: a user with plenty of free time should search in CHM by keyword "catalog", but then find "Scripting" section and review it from the to bottom searching for keyword entries.

Is there a better way to perform such a tiny operation?
Attachments
Learning path.png
Learning path.png (231.69 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

fx.practic

Post by fx.practic »

For someone who will struggle next time.
Working solution.

And this also was helpful: viewtopic.php?t=3613
Attachments
Select All Scrtipt.png
Select All Scrtipt.png (26.21 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
Last edited by fx.practic on 30 May 2022 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Post by highend »

Menu - Help - List All Commands...

select all

and you have the necessary command (id) to execute and you don't need the :: in front of it (this is only necessary if a tweak was set for that)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

WirlyWirly

Post by WirlyWirly »

In the Scripting section of the forums, there's some sticky threads near the top. They're not just for show, they're actually useful if you bother to look at them...

Managing Scripts

Norn

Post by Norn »

You can also use a user button.
To get the original right-click menu of Toolbar buttons you right-click the icon of a Button In Catalog. For the normal Catalog Item right-click menu you right-click the caption, or you hold CTRL while right-clicking the icon.
viewtopic.php?p=199104#p199104
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

fx.practic wrote: 30 May 2022 22:53 CHM file doesn't allow to search on the current page.
I'm not sure what you're doing but yes it does. You can search the current page, you just have to make sure you click on the page first, then do Ctrl+F :biggrin:
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

reebae

Post by reebae »

I understand the multi-level frustration. It's not easy to be a new user coming up against many years of development, tons and tons of reading & searching, and users who find some of this to be old hat, especially after having answered the same questions over and over. Sometimes finding a simple answer takes a tremendous effort and a fair amount of time when all you want is a simple way to do a simple function.

Searching within a page in the CHM file is not straightforward. There's no obvious input field. The right click context menu doesn't include a search. Clicking F3 does nothing. It was only my final effort of (my rarely used) Ctrl+F that got me to an inline search option. It may seem simple, but if a user has already spent time attempting to find answers for themselves only then not find an easy way to search, it can be frustrating.

I appreciate the OP for finding the "Quick Scripting" section. I was looking for information in and near this section. I came to the forum to find more info. This post has saved me time. There are issues I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out and yes, it can be frustrating. I've received excellent help both from the help file and here in the forum from very helpful people (minus the occasional "Just do this uber complex regimen, it's easy" reply, or the "if you bothered to look" comments -- remember, the OP may have looked and come here as a last resort - be kind). But I do consider XYPlorer to be an INVESTMENT -- not just of the purchase price, but of my time, knowledge and fledgling expertise. I need it for my complex frequent usage. For anything less, I'd go with a simple program with minimal options, and I do occasionally pop open Explorer for a quickie task.

I am not complaining, but I want the OP to know I understand.