Large Copy Operation - Not Responding. Multi-Threading

Features wanted...
warrenrh

Large Copy Operation - Not Responding. Multi-Threading

Post by warrenrh »

I started a large copy operation, from one of my hard drives to another, of a large directory with subdirectories (17 GigaBytes, roughly 3800 files). The Copy operation started -- reporting that the operation would take 20 minutes or so. Shortly thereafter, I clicked within Xyplorer -- hoping to do some other minor work, while this large copy operation went on.

XYplorer dimmed out, the window title added (Not Responding).

Eventually after this large Copy operation completed -- XYplorer appeared to be normal, and started once again to respond to my commands.

I'm using Vista if that matters. I suspect this is an issue of single-threading, and not multi-threading. XYplorer just couldn't respond to my request until this rather long, and lengthly operation completed.

Is this a Bug or more likely a known limitation of XYplorer?

Is there hope that this might change in the future, or an easy workaround for me to do? ie XYplorer would allow me to continue to issue some commands to it?, instead of "Not Responding"?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Large Copy Operation - Not Responding. Multi-Threading

Post by admin »

Two alternative ways:

(1) Enable Configuration | Advanced | File operation dialog modeless.

(2) Simply start a new instance of XYplorer while one is busy! You can have as many XYplorers open at the same time as you like.

warrenrh

Post by warrenrh »

Thanks.
Even after exiting, and restarting Xyplorer - didn't seem to effect this -- XYplorer dimmed out, the window title added (Not Responding).
I wish option 1 had worked for me.

Option 2 - of starting a new instance, did work just fine.

I have used another product -- xplorer2, which has a very powerful File Copy capability, accessible from the menu by Edit | Copy To... - which I wish and hope you would consider a similar implementation. The ability to place in "queue" copy operations is helpful, as is some of the other easily accessed options.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

warrenrh wrote:Thanks.
Even after exiting, and restarting Xyplorer - didn't seem to effect this -- XYplorer dimmed out, the window title added (Not Responding).
I wish option 1 had worked for me.
Did you trigger the operation by drag+drop or by keyboard? If drag+drop then try keyboard please and let me know if it makes a difference.

warrenrh

Post by warrenrh »

All tried methods unsuccessful - "(Not Responding)".

Toolbar -- copy, and paste buttons.
Drag+Drop.
Control-C and paste via Control-V.

I'm using the Tabbed interface, and initiating copy from one tab, switching to the target tab and then starting the paste function.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

warrenrh wrote:All tried methods unsuccessful - "(Not Responding)".

Toolbar -- copy, and paste buttons.
Drag+Drop.
Control-C and paste via Control-V.

I'm using the Tabbed interface, and initiating copy from one tab, switching to the target tab and then starting the paste function.
Strange. Here (XP) it works flawlessly. So it *might* be Vista...

BTW, you can use the Catalog to queue copy jobs that all go to the same target location.

warrenrh

Post by warrenrh »

I started a large copy operation, from one of my hard drives to another, of a large directory
I get the same (Not Responding) result, when I copy onto the same hard drive, with just one physical hard drive involved, instead of two different drives -- which should make this easier for others to see if they have this difficulty. Vista Operating System. Sata interface on hard drives, for what it is worth.

Anybody else having this (Not Responding) problem?

MrSpock

Post by MrSpock »

I have the same problem.

Vista x64
XYplorer 7.10.0000

Copying to the same drive or another doesn't matter. If I switch to another application during a lengthy copy operation, I am not able to see the progress bar after switching back to XYplorer. I just have to sit and wait for the copy operation to finish.

If I enable "File operation progress dialog modeless" the progress bar is moving normally, but XYplorer is still "Not responding" during copy.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MrSpock wrote:I have the same problem.

Vista x64
XYplorer 7.10.0000

Copying to the same drive or another doesn't matter. If I switch to another application during a lengthy copy operation, I am not able to see the progress bar after switching back to XYplorer. I just have to sit and wait for the copy operation to finish.

If I enable "File operation progress dialog modeless" the progress bar is moving normally, but XYplorer is still "Not responding" during copy.
Vista again. Hmm. I can't do much about that now. Some day I will add multi-threaded copying, but for now you must either wait or start another instance. If you regularly do certain copy jobs I would even suggest to configure a special XYplorer instance just for that.

bugger

backup here

Post by bugger »

Just curious if you've tried the 'Backup here' option in XY? This seemed to work for me really well under Vista. My scenario:

I have about 50 GB of files that need to be copied to my backup drive. I have a nice folder structure that keeps them everything under one or two folders.

I open two tabs, one with the source folder showing, and one with the destination folder. I right click the source folder and drag it to the destination tab, and select 'Backup Here'. Works perfect for me.

kiku

Post by kiku »

Yup, same here with XYplorer 7.10.0036 beta on Vista Home Premium SP1 copying a 1 Gb large file between 2 USB drives

Works flawlessly on Windows XP Pro SP2

regards