Vertical Tabs setting available? - Emojis are shown as ??

Features wanted...
cyberpunker

Vertical Tabs setting available? - Emojis are shown as ??

Post by cyberpunker »

I'm a new user to XYplorer, I'm a programmer and I consider myself a superuser. I've been comparing side by side Directory Opus (a new user too) to this wonderful piece of software. I managed by myself to configure it so well to my needs in a few hours, but I can not find any way to change the horizontal tabs to vertical tabs as Directory Opus can do, as shown on the official page:

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/i ... plays1.htm

Vertical folder tabs
Folder tabs can now be displayed vertically (to the left or right of the file display) as well as horizontally (above or below).

Is there a way the developers could work on this feature 8) ?
I found a link from 2017 asking the same thing.
viewtopic.php?t=17940

Another thing, when you try to add any Emoji character it's shown as double interrogation character ??
But at least it can display the Emojis perfectly. The workaround to add an Emoji to any file name, is using the built-in Windows Explorer.
Could this issue be fixed please?
Attachments
XYplorer Emoji ISSUE.jpg
XYplorer Emoji ISSUE.jpg (368.71 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Last edited by cyberpunker on 25 Mar 2022 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

WirlyWirly

Re: Vertical Tabs setting available? - Emojis are shown as ??

Post by WirlyWirly »

Emoji characters work fine for me, I'm using a basic font Roboto. The ?? sign is usually shown when the character to be displayed is not defined in the displayed font. I'm assuming this is the case since all the other emoji's on your screenshot are being displayed properly.

As for the request, I personally don't see any use for it, but then again I'm in vertical panes mode so I've never considered it.

Also... A power/super user who uses emoji's in their filenames? :naughty:

cyberpunker

Post by cyberpunker »

WirlyWirly wrote: 25 Mar 2022 03:27 Emoji characters work fine for me, I'm using a basic font Roboto. The ?? sign is usually shown when the character to be displayed is not defined in the displayed font. I'm assuming this is the case since all the other emoji's on your screenshot are being displayed properly.

As for the request, I personally don't see any use for it, but then again I'm in vertical panes mode so I've never considered it.

Also... A power/super user who uses emoji's in their filenames? :naughty:
Thanks for the reply. The only way I can add any Emoji is through the regular Window Explorer, and that's way is displayed correctly on XYplorer. But I cannot add an Emoji using XYplorer, Does that make sense? I don't have issues adding Emojis using Directory OPUS.

When you have more than 10 SSD connected to your computer (500GB to 2TB) all full of data, and use software as [Everything] to search for a particular file/folder, with such a pretty basic UI but with the fastest file indexing, or at least than any other app I've tested on Win 10. Instant searches at hand ➕ Emojis in the file name just as references are really helpful visually when the search result output is massive.

Everything (free promo)
https://www.voidtools.com/
Attachments
Everything Emojis.jpg
Everything Emojis.jpg (296.91 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Vertical Tabs: not planned

2) Emojis: they can be copy-pasted from eg https://emojicombos.com/color but they lose their color (using Segoe UI font in Win8.1).

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

With Windows 10 & 11, just hit the Windows key and period (".") to bring up emojis.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

philtherobot

Post by philtherobot »

I really want a vertical tabs feature. I think it would be an excellent use of the natural width of our monitors. The tree on the left is vertical and you get to see a lot of folders. With vertical tabs, the same will be true.

I have a lot of unused space of the right of my horizontal tabs. With two vertical tabs side by side, it would be glorious!

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/uP5A6rz

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can use the Catalog for it. It's vertical, and even better than mere tabs.

philtherobot

Post by philtherobot »

Thanks for the reply. I tried the Catalog feature and it really does not replace a directory tab: a Catalog is filled by me with things I want to have quick access to. A directory tab shows me the contents of a directory as I navigate anywhere. Unless I missed something, Catalogs will no do.

Thanks for an otherwise very nice software!

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Why don't you set a User Defined Command (UDC) for "Tab List", CID #538. From the "User" menu, select "Manage Commands". Select "Run script" in the left side category listing and set a new User command for Tab List. Assign a keyboard short cut to the command and the tab list will come up wherever the cursor is. It may not be exactly what you want but it's vertical.
Tab List UDC.jpg
Tab List UDC.jpg (79.27 KiB) Viewed 646 times
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

XYplorer continues to be the best file explorer in the world, hands-down. Thank you, Don, for your exceptionally brilliant work in unlocking vastly improved workflows for so many.

The option for a vertical list of tabs would be much appreciated.

As the tab count for a pane grows, per settings, the width of each tab diminishes and the tab names can get truncated to a point that the tabs are shown like "Pro...", "Mo...", "XYp...", "gre..."; or alternatively, higher-width tab settings only allow a few tabs to be shown and the rest run off the visual display. To counter this, instinctively users may try to rename tabs, or change minimum tab width, or even keep their pane tab counts lower, but all of these involve a slowdown in workflow and a tradeoff in ease-of-use. Yes, the pane dropdown tab list can be used, but that involves another step and is not visually persistent on-screen.

To maximize at-a-glance ease-of-use, an option for vertical listing of tabs would allow the user to see a much longer name per-tab, for a larger number of tabs. To state the obvious: This is because the written text of most modern languages favors lateral expansion visually (words expand left and right), so it's more efficient to list discrete items vertically than horizontally (the reason we tend to make vertical bullet-point lists on paper, since we would run out of room bullet-pointing horizontally).

Many power users are accustomed, for example, to using vertical tabs in web browsers. The increase in work efficiency and ease-of-use is readily apparent after even 1 hour working this way. For some users, it is very important to have at-a-glance, persistent views of the current status without having to click anything or take additional steps. Vertical tabs would support this.

Is it possible this might be added as an option in the future?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

xyplorerköln wrote: 04 Mar 2023 16:26 Is it possible this might be added as an option in the future?
Sure, a lot is possible. :)

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

:lol: :appl:

2023 is a year full of possibilities. ;)

Don, a quick additional note: This is one feature that, once implemented, you would likely enjoy for your own use.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My reply was not meant as optimistic as you seem to have understood it. :)

Check out these pretty recent developments. XY won't come closer to vertical tabs:

Code: Select all

v23.60.0101 - 2022-09-19 10:44
    * Catalog | Tabs Category: Clicking on an item here will now open the tab in that 
      position on the first click (if not open already), and go to the location (as it is 
      stored in the Catalog item) on the second click (if not there already).
    > Tip: To open a Tabs Category item in a new tab, just do Shift+Click.
v23.60.0016 - 2022-09-15 13:01
    + Catalog | Tabs Category: Now its right-click menu offers the command "Update 
      Category". It will re-sync the category with the reality of the current tab bar.
    * Catalog | Tabs Category: Now when you select a category item and the tab at the 
      selected position does not match the original path anymore (as stored in the 
      Catalog), it is looked for (and selected) at the other positions, and if still not 
      found, it is created as a new tab.

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Yes, your users know your humour. ;)

The smiles, applause, ode to possibilities, and wink of the previous post are in the same genre.

On a more serious note: Actually, these tab categories could serve the requested purpose perfectly, if the following could be supported:
Once a tab category is created, an option to automatically update the list of tabs anytime the tabs change.

Currently you offer the option "Update category." This would be an optional automation of that on every tab change (close tab, new tab, change location, etc.).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Exactly the reply I expected. I mean the serious part. :) Yes, it should be done. Can't say when but it will happen.