Folder reports with subfolders WITHOUT files...

Features wanted...
GUIguy

Folder reports with subfolders WITHOUT files...

Post by GUIguy »

I would like to see the capability to create a folder report, complete with subfolders, but NOT have to include filenames.

The use case is rebuilding a PC (after a drive crash) and I want to use the folder structure as a "checklist" to make sure I get things back to where I want it. (I'm not actually restoring everything from backups. I'm using the opportunity to clean things up.) Subfolders are very important. However, every report I try has the filenames as well as the subfolders.

If this is currently possible, then I apologize for the post in this section and I'd appreciate some help or tips.

If it's not currently possible, then please consider this as a request/wish!

Thanks...
GUIguy
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind

Quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything!

jupe

Re: Folder reports with subfolders WITHOUT files...

Post by jupe »

I know you are a GUIguy, but you should check out the scripting command folderreport() you can make a report fully customized to what you want, below is an example of the <xydata> path, but if you look up the command in the help file you could customize it to suit your need exactly

text folderreport("tree:{name} ({size mb}, {count} items)", "r", <xydata>, "r");

Alternatively if you setup the list to display only folders in a branch view, you can use the Report tab > Current List report, but it isn't as customizable.

GUIguy

Post by GUIguy »

Thanks, jupe...

As the GUIguy, I was a designer, not a coder! Kinda like an architect vs. structural engineer. So, when it comes to scripting, I might be able to follow one, but certainly not write one...at least one that works! :veryconfused:

However, I accepted your "Challenge" and plinked away with what you sent me.

I'm not concerned about any counts, and really only want perhaps 2 levels of folders. This is what I tried...

Code: Select all

text folderreport("tree:{name} (", "r", "C:\Program Files", "r" , "depth=2");
But I'm not getting what I want. And ideally, and the reason I made this post as a "wish" would be some kind of GUI where I could use checkboxes to determine which folders I want in the report, and other fillable fields/checkboxes for the different flags and parameters of the report.

Probably asking too much, but, alas, that's what I do... :oops:
GUIguy
I measure a good day by how little I fell behind

Quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything!

jupe

Post by jupe »

Well you asked for suggestions so I gave you one 2, all the things you requested regarding a GUI, are already possible if you put in the effort to script them, anyway the dev will consider your wish.

folderreport("tree:{name}", "u", "C:\Program Files", "r" , 6:=2);

@Don: the depth parameter seems to be nonfunctional for positive numbers.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirmed. Fix comes.