[Autosave] Don't overwrite XY's data when storage is full

Features wanted...
1024mb

[Autosave] Don't overwrite XY's data when storage is full

Post by 1024mb »

Please, make it so the auto-saving feature ("Save to disk immediately" option) only auto-saves when there is at least the same amount of free space as the size of the current files or let us set a threshold.

My portable instance of XY is stored on an external drive, this often gets full but most of the times that this has happened I have noticed that right away and managed to free space quickly, one of the other times was the last one. Just minutes ago the drive was full and XYplorer auto-save feature tried to save the data files but in the process corrupted them (all the files were 0KB) and informed me that there was an error (an exception I think) about the udc.dat file because of the zero free space (sorry didn't managed to save the error information) and subsequently crashing. And then upon reopening XYplorer said that the tag file was corrupted, and also all the data files were reset to the defaults, all the configuration was lost. Fortunately I had a backup from 15 days ago so I only lost 15 days of file tagging that -also fortunately- wasn't too much and I can recreate the file operations I did so the tags can move (though the renamings are going to be impossible).

This has happened a couple times before, I think I reported something that had to do with this once. But please consider adding this, it is -in my humble opinion- important as user data can get corrupted.

Thanks.

Norn

Re: [Autosave] Don't overwrite XY's data when storage is full

Post by Norn »

Multiple backup...
Attachments
XYDataSync.jpg
XYDataSync.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 637 times
XYAutobackup.jpg
XYAutobackup.jpg (79.89 KiB) Viewed 637 times
XYbackup.jpg
XYbackup.jpg (42.11 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

That would backup XY's data only when you exit, which doesn't solve this. No one would tag one file and then exit so the data files get backed up and repeat every single time, this (drive getting full) can happen anytime, so if I today made a backup then tagged 1000's of files and suddenly the drive gets full XYplorer would corrupt the data and it would never get backed up because XYplorer never exited and now someone just lost all their work. Even so putting us in the scenario where you store your XYplorer installation on a USB stick and open it on a computer that isn't yours you can't run that script (as making backups in the same drive where the original files are located is... less than optimal) so having XY checking the free space or letting us input a threshold in order for the files to get overwritten only if the drive has at least X amount of free space would be perfect.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh yes, very good! :tup: I'll work something out.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

Thanks! I just saw you added this in 0233. Great :tup: :appl: