Automatic horizontal scrolling of tree

Features wanted...
autocart

Automatic horizontal scrolling of tree

Post by autocart »

but in a smart mind-reading kind of way. :wink:
nah, seriously, when the current folder / node is outside the tree area (on the left side - or - on the right side if left is still enough space on that line) then it should autoscroll into view as much as possible. I thought, something like this was already possible, but I could not find it (anymore?).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Automatic horizontal scrolling of tree

Post by admin »

It should do that when?

autocart

Post by autocart »

on any location change in the tree - for the current location ofc

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would find it rather irritating if the left part of the tree would automatically disappear. This is the most important part for orientation in the tree.

autocart

Post by autocart »

In my view, the most important part is the current branch, then the parent folder of the current folder, its siblings and then up the hirarchy. If I cannot read the current folder, its children, and its siblings, then seeing the hirarchy does not do me any good anyway.

But with the current situation it also regularly happens that I manually scroll the tree horizontally to the right and then move back up in the hirarchy and all of a sudden parts of the current folder name is on the left side outside of the tree window. In that case the left part of the tree should automatically be scrolled to the right back into view.

EDIT:
Either way, whehter this or that is more important to someones personal orientation priorities, that scrolling should anyway be made optional. :roll: Then it will serves everybody's needs.

EDIT 2:
If I had a super modern extra wide monitor and super short folder names, then the tree as of now would be good. I could just make the tree wide enough.
But, alas, I have one rather old and small monitor with long folder names throughout the tree hirarchy. Thus, the current tree is better than nothing but still sup-optimal.

EDIT 3:
A setting as to how many parent levels should stay visible (in case of horizontal scrolling) could also not hurt.

Still, after having written all of that, it is NOT a high priority to me. I *can* live with the current tree. I just can imagine it to be better. And.. better no change than an imperfect/unfinished "improvement" the effort of which could then potentially have be in vain.