Use alternate image for cached thumbnail?

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Use alternate image for cached thumbnail?

Post by admin »

setthumb overrides the map in the moment it is called. It's effect is temporary though. It sticks in the cache until the cache is refreshed, it sticks in the current list's thumbnail memory until the list is left and opened again. Then, in either case, the map takes over.

BTW, the map will become official in next beta. :)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Beta v22.40.0509 seems to be working as you described. When you write the help for SC setThumb you may want to make sure it's clear especially for new users that calling CID #501 isn't going to do any good unless you're currently in the folder addressed in SC setThumb or you "goto" that folder in a script and invoke #501.

Simply having "XYthumbsMap.txt" file in the XYplorer data folder on XY startup still works as well (i.e., not being called by SC setThumb), but of course you have to refresh the thumbnails in the subject folder to see it. You may want to mention that as well.

Sorry, I'm not liking the splash screen though...it may be alright for trial users.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

highend

Post by highend »

Sorry, I'm not liking the splash screen though...
Wouldn't it be better to only show this splash when things like "No network browsing on startup" are not active? I don't like it either...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Horst

Post by Horst »

The splash screen on start-up should be an option.
Its not of any help for normal start times and disturbs the screen for me.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

autocart

Post by autocart »

agree with the others: splash should be optional

If this is because of network stuff:
In case of a delay it would be good to show a notificaiton window or control that indicates the reason for the delay and that XY is still active in the background (and not frozen all together)

EDIT:
Ok, in the lower right corner of the spash screen it updates what XY is doing at the moment.
That is good. Did not see it at first because it disappeared so fast. Still, optional would be good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote: 05 Nov 2021 16:45 Simply having "XYthumbsMap.txt" file in the XYplorer data folder on XY startup still works as well (i.e., not being called by SC setThumb), but of course you have to refresh the thumbnails in the subject folder to see it. You may want to mention that as well.
You need to set it once by setThumb. Then it sticks in the INI file.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So the beautiful new splash screen is not very popular? :eh: Give it a little time, it will grow on you...

highend

Post by highend »

Give it a little time, it will grow on you...
It's just a screen flicker, you can't read anything (startup time is a mere second). Make it optional please or bind it to something useful, e.g. only display it when the startup time exceeds two seconds (tweakable)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote: 05 Nov 2021 18:34 You need to set it once by setThumb. Then it sticks in the INI file.
Ok thanks Don. I see in running tests that setThumb 2:=""; #501; //reset map file + refresh thumbnails removes the ThumbsSourceMapFile=XYthumbsMap.txt entry completely from XYplorer.ini. I guess I expected the key to be there but the value (txt file) to be empty.

Concerning the splash screen on a fast computer. It really is just an annoying flash on the screen. Certainly not helpful in any way. It would be better if optional and you made it non-optional for trial users.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

autocart

Post by autocart »

highend wrote: 05 Nov 2021 18:44
Give it a little time, it will grow on you...
It's just a screen flicker, you can't read anything (startup time is a mere second). Make it optional please or bind it to something useful, e.g. only display it when the startup time exceeds two seconds (tweakable)...
The splash screen itself is beautiful, but I still agree with highend here - that is a good idea.

Kenbol

Post by Kenbol »

Can setthumb set folder thumbnails?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, if Configuration | Preview | Thumbnails | Show folder thumbnails is ticked.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Don I have noticed a strange issue when testing out the new setthumb, I can't repeat it in fresh, but in my normal config (thumbnails cache disabled) when I reset a file via setthumb , ""; (which may be incorrect because I obviously haven't read final docs yet), I get the shell folder icon as the default (whereas in fresh you get the default assoc icon [not the original thumbnail??]), and then MDBU is then enabled for the file no matter the filetype, but MDBU just shows a blank white image popup if <curitem> wasn't an image, and it pops up in the dimensions of the last MDBU shown, or occasionally a blow up of the shell folder icon the first time, then the blank white image from then on (that may be filetype dependant).

Not sure if it was worth mentioning since I can't give repro steps (and it resets on location change anyway), but maybe you have an idea about the cause.

This is what I mean when I use the term shell folder icon (thumbnail has black background, I am not in dark mode):

2021-11-18_145052.jpg
2021-11-18_145052.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good idea to use setthumb , ""; to reset a set thumbnail. That wasn't in the documentation yet and didn't work (as you noticed). It will work in the next beta.

jupe

Post by jupe »

The shell folder icon thing is resolved, but what about the second thing I mentioned, that being that MDBU becomes enabled for all filetypes when setthumb is used, for example if I change the XYplorer.exe thumbnail, then I can MDBU on the exe file and the first time doing that I will get the replaced thumbnail, second time onwards a white box in the dimensions of the last MDBU shown. It is of no consequence to me, but is that just going to be a known side effect of using this feature for certain filetypes (eg. I tested dll/exe)?.