User Buttons

Features wanted...
Steelvest

User Buttons

Post by Steelvest »

Hello folks, just got me a license and loving the product however, one thing i would like to suggest. Upon adding some user buttons for directories shortcut, it hit me that i couldnt tell which button belong to which directory path unless you hoover your mouse to display the name. Its kinda inconvenience, especially if youve added a lot of user buttons aye. I could take some screenshots and use it as button icon, that just ruins the aesthetic of the app because, just doesnt turn out well - looks awful and just adds extra work to people who are not advanced users. In fact, is there an option to display name label to the rest of the buttons that come with the app? i mean the buttons are kinda self explanatory but choice is nice to have. So please, if can be done...

Allow to display a 'User Button' name rather than just an icon that often doesnt fit the aesthetic of the app.

thank you xyplorer.

RalphM

Re: User Buttons

Post by RalphM »

Welcome to the forum.

It seems you haven't discovered the Catalog or Minitree yet, because both of these offer much better functionality in regards to simple "location shortcuts" and it would keep you from wasting the precious user buttons (there is only a limited number of them) for this.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Steelvest

Post by Steelvest »

Thank you RalphM

The 'Catalog' method seem to do the work, didnt know about it. Allowing to show user buttom labels would still be a nice add so users know what a button would do. ill stick to catalog.

highend

Post by highend »

Em, the Options... button in the Customize Toolbar dialog window allows you to show button captions?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Also, you can assign icons to your drives in Tools > Customized File Icons... similar to this:
Customize File Icons.jpg
Customize File Icons.jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 882 times
When that is done, those drives added to the toolbar via Customize Toolbar... will utilize those same icons assigned above similar to this [note the icons for C and D drives].
Customize File Icons_toolbar.jpg
Customize File Icons_toolbar.jpg (2.1 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

Steelvest

Post by Steelvest »

Thank you @highend for the tip, i missed that 'options' button.
Thank you @klownboy for showing me 'custom file icon' option, ill have to read more info for that on how to do it, seems technical for someone like me.

Now, when i do show captions, the toolbar lengthens exponentially and im forced to display the captions in multiple lines. It get ugly quickly if you past 2 lines. If i scale down the buttons size and show 2 line caption, still toolbar slightly long on 15inch screen and i dont like scrolling option. I cant add more toolbars rows nah?

As of now the catalog option is best, i can see both captions and original icons of the apps like onedrive. There is something else that i cant figure it out but that just me not being tech enough; ill try to see if i can find info about it or ill start different thread for your input guys. Thank you.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Steelvest wrote: 15 Oct 2021 19:19 Thank you @klownboy for showing me 'custom file icon' option, ill have to read more info for that on how to do it, seems technical for someone like me.
Actually it's not too difficult.

- You first need icons and you can get them here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11635 and then place the icons you want in your XY icons folder. You can find out where that is by typing
e <xyicons>; in the address bar.
- Go into the Tools menu and select Customize File Icons...
- Select "new" and copy 1 or 2 of my examples in the picture above to point to an icon of your choice.
- You'll notice on the drive C example that I use 2 icons separated by a pipe "|". In that case XYplorer will use one for the collapsed drive and the other for an expanded drive - when you click on a sub folder like "Windows". If all else fails you can take a look at Customize File Icons in the Help file or let us know.

The main benefit of doing this is you'll see these in your XYplorer tree and list panel not just the Toolbar drive icons.
Tree Icons.jpg
Tree Icons.jpg (12.05 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440