Remember calculated Folder Size within the session.

Features wanted...
autocart

Re: Remember calculated Folder Size within the session.

Post by autocart »

That's all nice and stuff.
However, what is now the difference between the following commands?
  1. #417 Show Folder Sizes
  2. #487 Show Folder Sizes Now
Besides that the display of folder sizes with #417 seems to - unexpectedly - survive the first time of switching away to different tabs and then back to the original one - at least here. Which, BTW, seems to be a bug. :bug:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

• #417 (Tools | Customize List | Show Folder Sizes) is a list property. It sticks. The "Show Folder Sizes" in the Size column context menu is the same toggle.
  • #487 (View | Show Folder Sizes Now) does it only for the selected folders in the current list (or all of them if none is selected). Does not stick.
  • Configuration | General | Tree and List | List | Always show folder sizes: Overrides all of the above if ticked.

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

Code: Select all

Tools > Customize List > Show Folder Sizes
Is equal to

List | Size Column Context Menu: Show Folder Sizes
Which is a second part of the system which I completely missed and the reason I created this topic. It's a bit more tab-oriented so the info only survives a tab switch but not a path change (which is 50% of what I wanted, but I can live with that!) The fact it exists has to be the reason why "Cache Folder Sizes" is an independent option. Otherwise it makes no sense to be able to tick "Cache..." without ticking "Always show folder sizes" which was my original frustration. Basically the system is less centralized so the options are all over the place which is a bit confusing but it's probably more flexible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's definitely more flexible. But flexibility always comes with complications. This is a systemic problem in the universe we live in.

Tools > Customize List > Show Folder Sizes (= List | Size Column Context Menu: Show Folder Sizes) sets a so-called "list style". This can be global to all tabs of this pane, or it can be specific to each tab, depending on the setting of Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Remember list settings per tab.

autocart

Post by autocart »

admin wrote: 04 Nov 2021 08:36
  • #417 (Tools | Customize List | Show Folder Sizes) is a list property. It sticks. The "Show Folder Sizes" in the Size column context menu is the same toggle.
  • #487 (View | Show Folder Sizes Now) does it only for the selected folders in the current list (or all of them if none is selected). Does not stick.
  • Configuration | General | Tree and List | List | Always show folder sizes: Overrides all of the above if ticked.
Ok, right, thank you.
I realized now why it behaves differently for me.
:arrow: I have a default folder view setting take effect at all times. And that has #417 off.

Still the bug :bug: is there with a default FVS used.
1) Tab with default FVS that has #417 off.
2) Turn on #417.
3) Switch to a differnt tab. That then has #417 off because default FVS takes over.
4) Switch back to the first tab. -> I can even see how XY turns the toolbar button #417 off but the folder sizes still remain visible.
5) Switch back and forth again. -> Folder sizes are gone now also in the first tab as would have been expected the first time.

This happens - I would estimate - 9 out of 10 times. Ocasionally the folder sizes are already hidden the first time of switching, but I can still see them for a short moment as I can see the #417 toolbar button getting turned off by XY.
It seems like an imperfect implementation of the default FVS.
It is not a big issue for me. Does not bother me. But I still should report FYI.

EDIT:
BTW, Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Remember list settings per tab does not have an effect on the FVS. Obviously.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot reproduce that.

Note that FVS never takes over on switching tabs. The tab settings are always remembered and override any FVS.

Or are you talking about an implicit tab switch via reuse tabs (Configuration | Tabs and Panes | Tabs | Reuse existing tabs when changing the location)?

autocart

Post by autocart »

Don't know. Are you talking about default FVS as well?

Implicit: Can check in evening again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, never.

autocart

Post by autocart »

admin wrote: 06 Nov 2021 15:58Yep, never.
Not sure what you mean.
Anyway, the bug described above is still here. I started an actual bug report thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23734

OfficialBispo

Post by OfficialBispo »

admin wrote: 02 Nov 2021 12:37 I thought about it and came up with the following (next beta):

+ List | Size Column Context Menu: Added command "Refresh Folder Sizes". Use 
      this command to calculate the actual folder sizes for the current list and 
      refresh the cache (if caching is enabled).
    * View | Calculate Folder Sizes: This command now pulls the folder sizes 
      from the cache, if any. To get fresh folder sizes, now use the new "Update 
      Folder Sizes" command (see above).
Was the keyboard shortcut for the command "Refresh Folder Sizes" deleted? I noticed the old keyboard command to do the same thing, Shift+F5, was moved to the command "Show Folder Sizes Now", and I couldn't find the new shortcut.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No.

1) "Calculate Folder Sizes" was renamed to "Show Folder Sizes Now", but the keyboard shortcut remained the same.

2) "Show Folder Sizes Now" now pulls values from the folder size cache.

3) "Refresh Folder Sizes" is a new command by which you can update cached values.

OfficialBispo

Post by OfficialBispo »

Sorry, I think I worded my question wrong, because I did understand the three points you mentioned after reading the topic.
If I want to update the folder size cache (i.e. "Refresh Folder Sizes"), is there a keyboard shortcut for it, instead of having to right click the Size column to click that command?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good point, I guess I should add a menu command for it, with a shortcut.

Now, if we had these two together in the View menu, I'm not sure if there could be a better wording? It might be a bit confusing like this:
"Show Folder Sizes Now"
"Refresh Folder Sizes"

Note that "Refresh Folder Sizes" would also show them if they are not shown already. And if there is no caching enabled, both commands would be functionally identical. Hmm.

autocart

Post by autocart »

admin wrote: 07 Nov 2021 16:36 Good point, I guess I should add a menu command for it, with a shortcut.

Now, if we had these two together in the View menu, I'm not sure if there could be a better wording? It might be a bit confusing like this:
"Show Folder Sizes Now"
"Refresh Folder Sizes"

Note that "Refresh Folder Sizes" would also show them if they are not shown already. And if there is no caching enabled, both commands would be functionally identical. Hmm.
Why not disable "show" from "refresh"? So, that "refresh" really only refreshes, if the folder sizes are shown already.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Then the command would have no visible effect (but might take a long time for this). Also confusing.

Or call it "Calculate Folder Sizes Now" and enable it only when the cache is enabled?