Export tags to meta information tags

Features wanted...
Elessar

Export tags to meta information tags

Post by Elessar »

Hello,

I am pretty new to XYplorer, and I am definitively impressed. Currently, I am exploring the tags function. From what I understand from the help file, the tags used in Xyplorer are stored in a separate database. That all works well when files are moved using Xyplorer. But what happens when the files are moved outside Xyplorer? Is there a way to restore the tags when things have messed up (e.g., by searching and matching files with tags)? Or is it possible to sync the tags with the metadata of a file? I found a script that seemed to export the XYplorer tags to the meta tags of individual files, but that was one from 2012 (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8587). I guess that I am looking for a periodic export of the tags in XYplorer to the windows explorer metadata of the individual files. Is this possible?

Thank you for considering this.

Kindest regards,
Rob

NBRU

Re: Export tags to meta information tags

Post by NBRU »

Last edited by NBRU on 30 May 2022 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The database (tag.dat) is a plain text file. You can load into any editor and do some search and replace.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Thank you for the reply.

Perhaps the issue about finding messed up tags/documents is let of a focus now than exporting tags to meta information. When that can be achieved periodical the issue is solved.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nope, not natively.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

How about using a script?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You found it already: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8587

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Yes but that is a script from 12 years ago. And as I mentioned I am new to xyplorer and have no clue what that script does and if it still works.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Understandable.

When you say "to meta information tags", which particular meta information tags are you thinking about?

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

I mainly work with Word documents. So I created a new document and added the tag 'Test' to in XYplorer. See this screenshot:
Snag_205654af.png
Snag_205654af.png (18.47 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
When I go to Windows Explorer and look at the details of the same document, the tag section is empty. See this screenshot:
Snag_20581e44.png
Snag_20581e44.png (29.64 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
So what I am thinking of is a way to copy tags from XYplorer to this word document. Initially, I was thinking of doing this periodically (e.g., once a week), but perhaps it is much better to update the tags immediately when tags are changed. But of course, I do not know which trigger is easier to implement by pressing the button or passing a specific time.

I sometimes work with PDF files, but these files work with keywords. Which probably makes it more difficult?

What do you think?

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

PS. With photos, you also can use tags in windows explorer. So it seems that per file type, the possibilities differ.

By the way, thanks for discussing this with me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I just made a little research and it seems to be utterly tricky. Office has its own way (as with everything), then about each file creating app invents its own way, some file types don't seem to have any way to add tags, and there is hardly any official documentation or standards.

So at the moment I think Marcos 2012 script is still the best approach. Marco is still frequently around in this forum, so when you post to that thread he will see it and reply. Maybe he can update the script if necessary.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Ok, thanks for the effort. I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,
Rob