Filter by drop-down menus on each column

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Filter by drop-down menus on each column

Post by admin »

Horst wrote: 23 Sep 2021 08:34
jupe wrote: 23 Sep 2021 01:51 What do you think about a shift click to invert the filter?, and maybe Ctrl+Shift to boolean AND it with the current LF (if there is one) instead of replace it?
Good suggestion.
The only problem is that all this shortcuts have to be find or remebered.
Adidional entries in the View menu which also show the shortcuts may help.
I agree, but OTOH I like the simplicity of the current menu. I think I'll publish it as it is now and see how strong the desire is for Boolean extensions.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

You should add "Remove Live Filter" to the menu, if a live filter is active. Having tried it, the second thing I expected was to be able to remove the filter with the same menu, rather than having to move the mouse from the bottom of the screen, to the top.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can click the filter icon in the Live Filter Box to toggle the current filter. (Admittedly this trick is not that obvious.) The filter icon also has a context menu where Toggle Live Filter is shown in bold.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote: 23 Sep 2021 12:28 You can click the filter icon in the Live Filter Box to toggle the current filter....
I know that. Read what I said. Moving the mouse from bottom to top of screen is NOT EFFICIENT. I have a 32" monitor.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK. When you right-click the same cell again, and it is identical with the current live filter, then the command could change to "Remove Live Filter". That's a good idea.

PS: Well, maybe not. Needs more thinking... :maf:

Tip: You can press ESC to remove any Live Filter.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jupe wrote: 23 Sep 2021 01:51 What do you think about a shift click to invert the filter?, and maybe Ctrl+Shift to boolean AND it with the current LF (if there is one) instead of replace it?
In the next beta experimentally Shift+Click on "Live Filter" will append the selected property with Boolean AND. No smartness built in. It just appends & property to whatever is in the box. If something like !(a | b) is in the box, the resulting term !(a | b) & property won't work in a meaningful way. Maybe later I will teach it to insert it within the parentheses: !(a | b & property), or even !(a | b | property) so that Shift+Click will always narrow down the resulting filtered list.

BTW, still not sure whether Shift+Click or Ctrl+Click would be the more natural/expected combination for Boolean AND. If anybody has a strong intuition here...

- - - -
UPDATE:
Actually maybe "control" has more the connotation of narrowing down, and "shift" more of widening, so for now I will do this:
Ctrl+Click => AND selected property
Shift+Click => OR selected property