Find-as-you-type field (FAYT)

Features wanted...
mragtronx8

Find-as-you-type field (FAYT)

Post by mragtronx8 »

Find-as-you-type Field
The Find-as-you-type field (FAYT) is a multi-purpose text field that pops up at the bottom of the file display when you type a key (letter or number) that hasn't been otherwise assigned to a hotkey.

The FAYT started out as a visible implementation of the Explorer feature that lets you jump to a specific file by simply typing the first letter or letters of its name. In its default mode that's exactly what it does, and the behavior is exactly the same except that you can see what you've typed.

highend

Re: Find-as-you-type field (FAYT)

Post by highend »

Configuration | Find and Filter | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead Find | [x] Enable type ahead find
Configuration | Find and Filter | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead Find | [x] Redirect typing to Live Filter Box
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

mragtronx8

Post by mragtronx8 »

thx.
Is there a way to enable "SPACE"

lets say am searching for a 3 word sentence "eg: find as you",
xyplorer is searching like this "findasyou"

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yeah there were some changes a few months ago and you can't enter space now without focusing the live filter box first Ctrl+Alt+X, I really dislike this change.

The space key is now mainly only redirected to start stop playback of media when the preview pane is open, and when preview isn't open it does pretty much nothing, it can be used to select a file, but so can the arrow keys anyway.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I assume you mean this change:

Code: Select all

v21.70.0001 - 2021-04-14 15:39
    * Configuration | Find and Filter | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead 
      Find | Redirect typing to Live Filter Box: Undid this fix from v18.40.0003 
      - 2017-09-22 12:23:
      ! Live Filter Box: Since v18.30.0019 - 2017-09-15 12:26 the LFB would not 
        accept a space even as non-first character if the focused file in the list 
        was not selected. Fixed.    
      Reason: Not intuitive. The Space key should select the focused item in this 
      situation.
Don't you think the Space key should select the focused item in this situation?

BTW, this is related to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17948

Update: I'll add a tweak to make this optional. Question remains whether the tweak should by default
a) redirect spaces (old behavior), or
b) use space to select the focused item if it is not already selected (current behavior)

I must say, once again reverting my opinion ( :oops: :whistle: ), that I now tend to go back to a). Even the simplicity compared to b) clearly speaks for it.

eil

Post by eil »

while noticing this changes, wanna know if it's somehow possible to let Space key to focus LiveFilter?(no way to assign key in user custom commands)
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

jupe

Post by jupe »

Thanks for making the old behavior possible again, but the change I disliked even more was the no-first-char space, I used to just hit spacebar and it would show all filenames with spaces, which I used often, but anyway being able to easily use space again between words like before is still an improvement.

As to what to set as default, personally I don't mind since it is now optional, but what I will say is I had never heard any complaints about the original behavior but since the change I think at least 4 people have raised it as an issue.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I disallowed the first-char space because I found it quite strange when SPACE would not select the currently focused item.

But hey, I got an idea. There is Ctrl+Space which toggles the selection of the currently focused item! So here we got all we need. And Space (without Ctrl) is free for FAYT! Gonna implement that in the next beta... 8)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote: 18 Aug 2021 20:16 while noticing this changes, wanna know if it's somehow possible to let Space key to focus LiveFilter?(no way to assign key in user custom commands)
Miscellaneous / Focus Functions / Focus Live Filter Box Ctrl+Alt+X

eil

Post by eil »

admin wrote: 19 Aug 2021 09:06 Miscellaneous / Focus Functions / Focus Live Filter Box Ctrl+Alt+X
yeap, i know shortkey for LFB focus, i was asking if there is a way to remap Space key. For example Delete is an important key too, but i was able to remap it for my script launch instead of traditional delete action.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nope, not possible.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Wow, thanks! I thought that first char space functionality had retired for good, now its implementation is even better without the conditional selection. :appl:

WirlyWirly

Post by WirlyWirly »

Not completely unrelated, but I'm curious if there's a keyboard shortcut to cycle through the FAYT matches.

Lets say I use FAYT and get 5 matches like in the screenshot below. I would like to use a keyboard shortcut to quickly jump between those highlighted matches.
Something like ctrl+shift+< for the previous match and ctrl+shift+> for the next match.

I find that FAYT often doesn't select the result I'm looking for on the first try. By the time I locate my target and continue my typing, the wait time between keys has expired and my typing is returning a whole new set of results.

Being able to cycle through the current results would allow for less precise matching and some breathing room to locate your target. In the Live-Filter box these keyboard shortcuts could act as a way to keep your hands in the home-row and not have to reach for the arrow keys.

P.S
Anyone know where I change the FAYT/Live-filter highlight color? I've been looking all over the place but this seems to be the only color without an option to change it.

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

WirlyWirly wrote: 21 Apr 2022 23:09 Not completely unrelated, but I'm curious if there's a keyboard shortcut to cycle through the FAYT matches.
Yes I would like to know, too. It would be very handy.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Keyboard shortcuts, sure:

Miscellaneous / Focus Functions / Next Type Ahead Match
Miscellaneous / Focus Functions / Previous Type Ahead Match
Customize the colors, sure:

v11.30.0103 - 2012-06-16 15:51
    + Spot Colors: Added tweak to customize the Spot colors and the 
      number of different spot colors. You simply specify the colors in 
      RRGGBB format in a comma-separated list of any length.
      This example is identical to the four currently hard-coded values:
        SpotColorsList=FFEF00,7FFF00,FF40FF,00DFFF
      But you can add more colors as you like, or also reduce it to just 
      one color, e.g. a warmer yellow:
        SpotColorsList=FFCC00