Portable Bin / XY Path Variable

Features wanted...
nerdweed

Portable Bin / XY Path Variable

Post by nerdweed »

Hello Don,

Is it possible to have a custom PATH variable in XY. XY will check this path first before checking the native PATH variable. I trust this would be a simple change but add good value

Scenario:
Users can keep some handy utils in ?\bin folder (as shims) and XY can check this location to see if the exe is available here. It will help in quick launching applications as well as in PFA/POM. This will be useful even for the newly added unrar; 7z support.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Portable Bin / XY Path Variable

Post by admin »

Not sure if this is possible, let alone easily. Can you give a more specific example?

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

The following PFA works where notepad even though not a full path is resolved from registry verbs

txt > notepad

What I ask for is as below
- XY reads a path variable at startup which is a semicolon separated list of paths
- XY prepends this path to Windows PATH variable
- Whenever a PFA is mentioned as a non-absolute path, it first checks if an exe of that name is present in one of the paths first and then checks the registry verbs

WOuld be wonderful if this can be done. No worries, if it doesn't hold merit. I have realised that PFA's work with shortcut files and I will try to use those instead.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can already pass portable paths to PFA. I don't think it's necessary to add another mechanism.