Option to have tree view per split pane instead of only one that affects both

Features wanted...
blazarian

Option to have tree view per split pane instead of only one that affects both

Post by blazarian »

Currently there is only one tree view, which selections change also the second pane's location if it is active during tree view browsing. For my workflow, I absolutely require that both panes have their own tree view so both split panes don't get changed "randomly" when "one is just left active without any intention to fiddle with it's location". I noticed that the process gets really messy when e.g. archiving files, when the "target pane's locations get changed when the sources are browsed".

Horst

Re: Option to have tree view per split pane instead of only one that affects both

Post by Horst »

blazarian wrote: 29 May 2021 12:28 Currently there is only one tree view, which selections change also the second pane's location if it is active during tree view browsing. For my workflow, I absolutely require that both panes have their own tree view so both split panes don't get changed "randomly" when "one is just left active without any intention to fiddle with it's location". I noticed that the process gets really messy when e.g. archiving files, when the "target pane's locations get changed when the sources are browsed".
I never needed a tree for such operations since I use 2 pane file managers.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

blazarian

Re: Option to have tree view per split pane instead of only one that affects both

Post by blazarian »

I need to
* keep the state of the treeview separate for pane 1 and pane 2
* I don't want to ever change the second pane location when touching the tree view that is NEXT TO the PANE 1

I noticed, that I changed (or added a tab if the pane 2 tab was locked) the location of the pane 2 multiple and multiple times, when it was left active by accident. When using the tree view next to pane 1, my intention is to "work in the pane 1 context which is the tree next to it and the tabs open in pane 1".

In my opinion, it is way more intuitive to have a tree view of their own for both panes -- so would like to see an option to enable separate tree views for them.

highend

Post by highend »

That's not possible. There is only one tree and no change to that is planned in short time frame.

If this is fulfilled: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23092

A script could change trees on demand...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Horst

Post by Horst »

blazarian wrote: 31 May 2021 12:26 I need to
* keep the state of the treeview separate for pane 1 and pane 2
* I don't want to ever change the second pane location when touching the tree view that is NEXT TO the PANE 1

I noticed, that I changed (or added a tab if the pane 2 tab was locked) the location of the pane 2 multiple and multiple times, when it was left active by accident. When using the tree view next to pane 1, my intention is to "work in the pane 1 context which is the tree next to it and the tabs open in pane 1".

In my opinion, it is way more intuitive to have a tree view of their own for both panes -- so would like to see an option to enable separate tree views for them.
My other file manager (Total Commander) supports 2 tree views but I never need or use it.
I still can't understand your problem.
If I have a target folder in the right pane for example and I work in the left pane
there is nothing which changes the target regardless of my actions in the tree or left pane.

blazarian

Post by blazarian »

1. Leave the right pane (acts as TARGET) active (as in if you just worked with the right pane to paste items or such)
2. Move your eye focus to the tree view and think "...and now I have to browse to different SOURCE view in left pane"
3. Click anything on tree view to browse your "left area aka source stuff"
4. The right pane (TARGET) changes it's location, and not the left pane (SOURCE)
5. Realize that "oh my, my intention was to manage this browsing in the SOURCE view next to which this tree view is" and curse about the forgotten activity state you left to a wrong pane when you go back and forth the 2 panes all the time
6. Repeat

blazarian

Post by blazarian »

highend wrote: 31 May 2021 12:37 That's not possible. There is only one tree and no change to that is planned in short time frame.

If this is fulfilled: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23092

A script could change trees on demand...
That's too bad. Well, last hope is this to conclude that do I actually buy XYplorer or not:

Is it possible to disable the second pane location changing via tree view? So that the tree view does not never ever do anything concerning the second pane? So it only changes the first pane locations?

highend

Post by highend »

No. Again, one tree view for both panes atm.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

blazarian

Post by blazarian »

Ok, thanks for the fast replies.

blazarian

Post by blazarian »

For anyone wondering the same thing: Directory Opus seems to have an option to enable dual tree views.

Horst

Post by Horst »

blazarian wrote: 31 May 2021 13:24 1. Leave the right pane (acts as TARGET) active (as in if you just worked with the right pane to paste items or such)
2. Move your eye focus to the tree view and think "...and now I have to browse to different SOURCE view in left pane"
4. The right pane (TARGET) changes it's location, and not the left pane (SOURCE)
5. Realize that "oh my, my intention was to manage this browsing in the SOURCE view next to which this tree view is" and curse about the forgotten activity state you left to a wrong pane when you go back and forth the 2 panes all the time
6. Repeat
I will never let the target (right) pane active, so thats no problem.
If i want to copy or move things I can do this from the active source (left) pane.
Also most of the time I don't touch the tree as they are much faster ways to go to different places in the source pane.
I have a Autohotkey script which uses the Everything search tool to switch the source pane into any location of the whole system in seconds.

Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Horst wrote: 31 May 2021 12:37 I still can't understand your problem.
I don't know if you are aware of what you are pedantic asserting. Denigrating the needs of others is a form of fundamentalism. Shame on you.

Horst

Post by Horst »

Delphine wrote: 31 May 2021 22:16
Horst wrote: 31 May 2021 12:37 I still can't understand your problem.
I don't know if you are aware of what you are pedantic asserting. Denigrating the needs of others is a form of fundamentalism. Shame on you.
I know myself :biggrin:
But you have to live with the fact that there is only one tree for both panes in XY.
For this reason it may be good to think about changing your workflow.
But this if of course your decision.

eil

Post by eil »

Delphine wrote: 31 May 2021 22:16I don't know if you are aware of what you are pedantic asserting. Denigrating the needs of others is a form of fundamentalism. Shame on you.
really love when smb claims one of "Denigrating the needs of others", while claiming own needs more important than needs of others(the one claimed at least), plus trying to present own needs as needs of some fictitious majority. :mrgreen:
Horst just mentioned examples how to work it out with one tree 'cause there is only one, chill.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 »

blazarian wrote: 31 May 2021 13:24 1. Leave the right pane (acts as TARGET) active (as in if you just worked with the right pane to paste items or such)
6. Repeat
Another issue I was having with the lack of dual trees was if I needed to have the sub-tree of the target open so that I can select files from the source and drag them to the appropriate sub-tree folder.
BUT as soon as you select a file in the source tab, the tree location changes and you can't see the sub-tree anymore.

If this is also one of your problems, I found a workaround by viewing the Target pane as a branch view with the following: D:\temp? /flatdirs
This produces a pseudo-tree that shows all your sub-directories in the pane itself.