Multiple size CACHING of thumbnails

Features wanted...
Richard_

Multiple size CACHING of thumbnails

Post by Richard_ »

I have been caching thumbs (and saving to cache file) but always at a certain size.

Anyway to automatically cache (and save to cache file) multiple sizes at once - eg for me 16, 32, 64, 128 square sizes?

Because I am going to cache many millions of images over many thousands of folders - which does manually take a long time to step through to build up the cache file - multiple size caches automatically would mean I would only have to pass through all the folders once (rather than 4 times in my case above)

klownboy

Re: Multiple size CACHING of thumbnails

Post by klownboy »

Take a look at the Thumbnail Maintenance script here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12257. You can create the caches for multiple thumbnail sizes for a folder or a folder and all its subs.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@klownboy

Thanks for reply.

I viewed briefly the topic (would take me a while to read all pages) and downloaded from page 12 (03 May 2018) ThumbnailMaintenance_v1.19.zip.

I have never used scripts before (MS DOS batch files is the closest thing...) but quite easily via Scripting > Load Script File... > ThumbnailMaintenance.sys > (Thumbnail Cache Maintenance Menu appears) > Build Thumbnail Cache...current folder & subs ...Size data > checked boxes > get error as below.
#1.PNG
#1.PNG (17.74 KiB) Viewed 502 times
#2.PNG
#2.PNG (16.95 KiB) Viewed 502 times
#3.PNG
#3.PNG (60.87 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Hopefully it is something I am missing - I had previously redefined my thumbnails sizes and was limiting myself to 3 simultaneous sizes to cache. Also I had configured for folder sizes.

Your suggestion (when working) would probably be all that I need.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Richard, corrected that error along with some other issues in a version I had been working on a few months ago, but I'm not done testing version 1.20. I'll PM you a copy. Try running it.

If you have problems with the options using "size data", try using one of the options that do not involve calculating before and after cache sizes. That size data is only for info and not really necessary unless you've done a lot of work deleting, moving, or renaming images. Since those old thumbnails may still be in the database cache. So those options will let you know if the cache file size had decreased or stayed the same. That's nice to know but not necessary.

The FVS setting message is really only a message and really only telling you that you have no FVS setting established or the current view conflicts with a FVS, etc. You should be able to click OK barring any other problems.

The best way to run the script is to make a Customized User Button (CTB) and put load "ThumbnailMaintenance_v1.20.xys"; (or whatever the version is) in the "On left click" block.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440