A couple requests about how XYplorer handles the config ini file

Features wanted...
1024mb

A couple requests about how XYplorer handles the config ini file

Post by 1024mb »

I don't know if these two requests may conflict each other but here they go:

1. An option to modify the config file in real time so any option or other little thing we change gets directly applied into the ini file.

This way if XYplorer crashes or hangs (this has been happening lately a lot thanks to third party apps, see Icaros) we don't loose any configuration we may have done, like setting up new toolbar buttons and so on.

2. Make XYplorer check for space availability before replacing the INI file at closing/when saving manually and show a message warning about it so we can cancel.

I use XYplorer portable together with an installed instance, that portable instance is located in a device that can get full without problems (because is not the C drive), if said device has exactly 0KB of empty space and we close XYplorer, all the settings are lost, they are not just not saved, they are all lost and next time, because there is no ini anymore and no space for backup, XYplorer will start from scratch (though as far as I saw tags and so on are saved in real time so there is no problem there, I think, I haven't tested making new tags or tagging new items while the empty space was 0 to see if we get an error).
Last edited by 1024mb on 24 May 2021 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Re: A couple requests about how XYplorer handles the config ini file

Post by highend »

Code: Select all

Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Save Settings | [x] Save changes to disk immediately
Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Save Settings | Apply to...
[x] Configuration
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jupe

Post by jupe »

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

highend wrote: 24 May 2021 08:43

Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Save Settings | [x] Save changes to disk immediately
Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Save Settings | Apply to...
[x] Configuration
Thanks for the info but I guess it is not working. I forgot about that option but now that I've checked it I have it enabled already and applied to everything but I have just tried changing one config while the ini file is opened on Notepad++ (so it warns me that the file has been modified) but I haven't gotten any message, file is still the same, the ini hasn't changed its modified date either. Does it work on your end?

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

jupe wrote: 24 May 2021 08:49 2) viewtopic.php?p=158501#p158501
That isn't working either, that has happened to me like two of three days ago and didn't get any warning, fortunately I do backups every day so I didn't lost anything, may be the feature got broken or is my XY app behaving weirdly?

highend

Post by highend »

It does on my end

E.g. switching
Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Open command line start path in new tab
on/off

leads to a saved XYplorer.ini immediately
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

highend wrote: 24 May 2021 08:54 It does on my end

E.g. switching
Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Open command line start path in new tab
on/off

leads to a saved XYplorer.ini immediately
Yes, for some reason it wasn't working but turning the setting off and on again made it now save the settings immediately. #1 is solved, thanks.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Without knowing your exact scenario I can't answer, you could run some tests yourself, it is implemented and working as far as I know, it only triggers on app exit though, so your immediate save settings config option could still create 0 byte files.

The user in the topic I linked said he didn't see the dialog either, then subsequently admitted he just clicked it away without reading it, could that possibly have happened? If it was a clean exit and XY didn't crash, or was left to force close on Windows shutdown, I'd have expected it should have appeared.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

jupe wrote: 24 May 2021 09:09 Without knowing your exact scenario I can't answer, you could run some tests yourself, it is implemented and working as far as I know, it only triggers on app exit though, so your immediate save settings config option could still create 0 byte files.

The user in the topic I linked said he didn't see the dialog either, then subsequently admitted he just clicked it away without reading it, could that possibly have happened? If it was a clean exit and XY didn't crash, or was left to force close on Windows shutdown, I'd have expected it should have appeared.
Yeah, that may have happened but I don't think so because I knew the drive was full but closed XYplorer accidentally so I wasn't in a hurry or anything and I don't remember clicking on any other window, I mean if there was any I would have clicked no in a second as I was accidentally closing XY.

Now that I want to test it I can't get the drive to get full. I've created a dummy file with fsutil but for some reason I can still create little text files without problem (like 16-20KB of content) so I can't be sure if the remaining empty space is 0 bytes (XY reports 0 bytes but as I said I can still create files) or not. I will keep trying.

I got the available space with:

echo get("FreeSpace", "X:\", 1);