Suboptions should be greyed out when Main Option is not enabled

Features wanted...
Paperboy

Suboptions should be greyed out when Main Option is not enabled

Post by Paperboy »

There seems to be a bit of an inconsistency in the settings when it comes to greying out certain settings. Some are correctly greyed out whereas in others they are not.

In the "File Info Tips & Hover Box" could you please grey out the following settings:

1. When "Show file info tips" is unselected (or unchecked) I think the following settings beneath should also greyed out.
2. When "Show Hover Box" is unchecked then the setting beneath which in this case would be "Show hover box only when hovering file icon" should be greyed out.
3. When "Show custom file info tips:" is unchecked then the long list below should be greyed out.
4. When "Extra fields:" is unchecked then the list below should be greyed out.
Last edited by Paperboy on 20 May 2021 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Certain Settings should be greyed out when not in use

Post by admin »

I did that in former times but recently I changed my mind about this. I favor to signal logical structure by indents and leave the elements enabled. It's less hindering and patronizing the user.

But I admit the current state is inconsistent and I might be wrong with the above. Open to discussion...

Paperboy

Re: Certain Settings should be greyed out when not in use

Post by Paperboy »

admin wrote: 20 May 2021 14:04 I did that in former times but recently I changed my mind about this. I favor to signal logical structure by indents and leave the elements enabled. It's less hindering and patronizing the user.

But I admit the current state is inconsistent and I might be wrong with the above. Open to discussion...
I disagree because I think that it would be more confusing. It can lead to enabling certain options that will have no effect at all because such options need other options to first be enabled in order to function properly! One example of this is when you go to "Tree and List" and under "List" if you only check/tick "Cache folder sizes" nothing happens at all unless the option "Always show folder sizes" is checked/ticked. The option "Cache folder sizes" should not only be greyed out when "Always show folder sizes" is unchecked/unticked, but also should be moved a little more to the right since it is a suboption.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Suboptions should be greyed out when Main Option is not enabled

Post by admin »

It can be helpful, but it can also be annoying. It's a case to case decision.

The next version will disable the "Show custom file info tips" list (the called "Custom fields") under certain conditions because this makes clearer that the "Extra fields" are independent of the setting of "Use standard shell file info tips". You'll see...