Combine 2 folders into a single pane

Features wanted...
cathaven

Combine 2 folders into a single pane

Post by cathaven »

I've been using XYPlorer for many years now, and I couldn't do without it. I can't deny that it already has far more features than I'll ever use, but there's one thing I'd really find very useful, that, as far as I know, no Explorer alternative yet has.
I would really like to be able to load the contents of 2 folders into one list in a single pane, and be able to sort them all alphabetically (or otherwise). They would need to be colour coded, so it's obvious which folder a particular item is in. The folders might be on different drives, or the same one. I can see the possibility of 2 files, or folders having the same name could be an issue.

Dave Brzeski

admin
Site Admin

Re: Combine 2 folders into a single pane

Post by admin »

Easy. That's the general syntax for a non-recursive listing on path1 and path2:
path1|path2?* /n
It's simply a search over two paths.

Color coding is possible but it needs to be done specifically for the used paths. There might be ways to make it all automatic through scripting though...

cathaven

Post by cathaven »

That's encouraging, albeit not something I know enough about to be able to do easily myself. I'd love to see an "add second folder to list button" at some point.

Dave Brzeski

cathaven

Post by cathaven »

I'm still hoping this feature might be added at some point. It occurred to me, after I made my original post, that colour coding isn't necessary. All I want is to be able to combine the contents of 2 (or even 3, but 2 would be fine) folders in a single pane, with some method of showing at a glance which folder each file, or sub folder was actually in.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil

Post by eil »

@cathaven search in Help file about Branch View, Paper folders - both resolve your need just in different way.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768