Sorted by "random order", please indicate this...

Features wanted...
ghost zero

Sorted by "random order", please indicate this...

Post by ghost zero »

When the current view is sorted by "random order", please indicate this by replacing the ^ sorting indicator with a ⚄ dice icon in the "name ^" column like this: "name ⚄".

https://emojipedia.org/die-face-5/

admin
Site Admin

Re: Sorted by "random order", please indicate this...

Post by admin »

Good idea.

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

Marked Custom Sort Orders. Now the random sort order is indicated by a small "dice" character in the Name column header, and the manual sort order by a small "hand" character. It’s the little things.
thanks for adding this! but unfortunately, the characters don't show up properly on win7. can you fix it? perhaps by making the characters not be reliant on installed fonts, and instead have them be added into XY?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Got a screenshot?
Which font is that?

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

i'm assuming the characters rely on some special fonts, and that is why they don't show up properly on win7. but anyways, on win7, the dice character shows up as just a rectangle character in "random order" mode, and the hand character is invisible when switching to "unsorted" mode. can you fix it?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These are normal Unicode characters. It's not a Win7 problem, it's a font problem. Again: Which font are you using?

The hand has nothing to do with "unsorted" mode. Nothing to fix.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Fresh install on Windows XP. Font is whatever XY uses - NO SETTINGS CHANGED.

Screenshot - 16_05_2021 , 12_59_11.png
Screenshot - 16_05_2021 , 12_59_11.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 2185 times

Are you telling me that's a dice?

You're not serious are you?

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

font is "Segoe UI", which is the default. i also tested with fresh; mode. same problem.

jupe

Post by jupe »

I don't use Win7, but a couple suggestions if you are interested, make sure you have this installed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... aa430463d6

Alternatively, if still not working (after restart) try change your font to Segoe UI Symbol.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

How about being simple and just display "R" for random and "M" for manual, instead of trying to be smart? That way fonts would not be a problem.

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

i just tested with fresh; mode and set the font to "Segoe UI Symbol". but i get this dice character instead...

Code: Select all

🎲
https://emojipedia.org/game-die/

jupe

Post by jupe »

That is correct, the die was updated since introduction, the old one was too small as you can see in Gandolf's earlier screenshot.

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

for you guys who didn't have a problem with seeing the character by default, is it because you already had the font set to "Segoe UI Symbol" by default, or did regular "Segoe UI" just work fine for you, or what?

jupe

Post by jupe »

In Windows 8+ it works fine with normal Segoe UI (and probably the majority of other fonts), if you can confirm that you already had that update installed that I linked, I would have thought the font fallback should have worked on Windows 7 (if you have normal Segoe UI selected and the char doesn't exist, it swaps to getting the char from Symbol), but it looks like you are confirming that even with that update installed and computer restarted that the fallback mechanism in Win7 doesn't work, Don may have to make special accommodations for those OS's if that is the case.

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

my win7 already has all windows updates installed.

i tested with many other fonts and they all have the same problem. i think XY needs to fix this by setting the character itself to always use a specific font. so we can still use whatever custom font we want without this problem.