Show labels in the tree pane

Features wanted...
daniel_m

Show labels in the tree pane

Post by daniel_m »

Labels are awesome and help me a lot e.g. with organising my DSLR photo collection. But ... yes, there is always a "but" :biggrin: ... to see the labels, I have to have the "main folder" selected and look at labels in the tab pane. Whenever I enter a subfolder which contains e.g. raw images that I want to develop, I forget the folder labels of all the other subfolders and have to go back to the main folder again. It would be awesome, if the tree would show labels (colours), so that I never ever lose track of anything :)
Preferably, the labels should be cached to speed up browsing ... am I being too greedy now?

highend

Re: Show labels in the tree pane

Post by highend »

Label Color in Tree / Mini Tree
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Currently Labels and other tags are only shown in the file list, not in the tree, yes: to speed up browsing.

Further, in the file list you have these options: Configuration | Information | Tags | Coloring style
In the tree this would not work, one would have to color the folder name. But this would conflict with many other colors in the tree (Highlight, Boxed Branch...).

So, it's not easy. :)

jupe

Post by jupe »

Since you have recently opened up prop colorfilters to the tree, for the people that want label colors in the tree (and are prepared to take a performance hit), I thought something like this would now work: colorfilter('T:prop:#Label:Red>,FC7268'); but it seems its not enabled, would that be viable to implement as a workaround way of achieving it?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jupe wrote: 14 Apr 2021 21:45 Since you have recently opened up prop colorfilters to the tree, for the people that want label colors in the tree (and are prepared to take a performance hit), I thought something like this would now work: colorfilter('T:prop:#Label:Red>,FC7268'); but it seems its not enabled, would that be viable to implement as a workaround way of achieving it?
Good idea! :tup: Took just one line to make it work. Probably other T:prop / B:prop stuff will benefit from this, yes, fix.

jupe

Post by jupe »

@Don: I just got around to testing this, prop CF's don't seem to update in realtime, changes need a tree refresh or toggle ICF/CF, whereas age CF's etc update in realtime, which is understandable for speed reasons, but is there any way to make at least label changes be reflected in realtime, by notifying the tree somehow?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, now I'm beginning to look into the box I opened there... :whistle:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, thinking about it, this "Show labels in the tree pane" topic just serves to show the madness of the very idea of live-updating the tree to any property changes in folders. Sure, it could be optimized to some extent. But this does not feel like a good way to go. So I'd say: Who wants to show labels in the tree pane can do so, but has to call "refresh tree" manually.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, thinking again about it, the last post was nonsense. "Refresh Tree" and "Update Color Filters" are not the same at all. The latter can be much faster. There might be a way...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Should work in next beta.