Listing Line Spacing less than -1?

Features wanted...
Richard_

Listing Line Spacing less than -1?

Post by Richard_ »

Tools > Configuration > Styles > Line spacing does not permit -2 or -3 values.

Manually editing XYplorer.ini (no instance running) for ListsLineSpacing=-2 only results in the -1 value being used.

[Ctrl] + [Shift] + mouse wheel only gives the same result as -1.

Please allow line spacing values of -2 and -3 say as then I could replicate the results with Windows 10 x64 File Explorer for tighter spacing between listing lines (my preference) rather than the "airier" spacing (-1,0,1...9) now as option.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Listing Line Spacing less than -1?

Post by admin »

I can achieve extremely tight lines using [Ctrl] + [Shift] + mouse wheel. Not tight enough for you?

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Thanks for reply.

Ctrl Shift MouseWheel gets me only down to the exact same spacing as per using the Configuration Menu (setting -1).

I am used to a tighter spacing, which would be my preference, and I think that an equivalent of -2 or perhaps -3 setting would achieve this. From my testing the mouse wheel method cannot not give me this (I do not know if different mice would give different effects).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The mouse wheel action adds on top of the setting in Configuration (Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Line spacing). I wonder why this does not work for you. You should see this in the status bar when you tighten the spacing by mouse to the extreme (-4):
2021-03-17_120720.png
2021-03-17_120720.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Here are three states: default, minimum, extreme (using mouse wheel):
LineSpacing-default(2).png
LineSpacing-default(2).png (25.51 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
LineSpacing-minimum(-1).png
LineSpacing-minimum(-1).png (24.76 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
LineSpacing-minimum(-1)-plus-extreme(-4).png
LineSpacing-minimum(-1)-plus-extreme(-4).png (19.35 KiB) Viewed 1549 times

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@admin

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

I finally was able to achieve "list row height increased by -4 pixels".

With my install of Windows 10 x64 pro 2H20 build, using XYplorer (trial version) - it appears that the combination of:-

- Windows File Explorer instances with a 3rd party font program (where font size is changed to 18)

- High DPI display (native resolution 3200 x 1800)

- XYplorer with Tools > Configuration > Font (bold where allowed and size 14 or 18)

- Windows scaling set to 100 (whereas 200 is windows default to make Windows File Explorer details (listing) pane "readable" (Note that the 100 setting is required to make certain applications work properly) - and Windows applies the setting globally and not for individual applications.

- Inability of Windows to apply Compatibility High DPI settings to File Explorer and XYplorer in my setup (scaling set to 100)

- etc

SOMETIMES results in the equivalent action of [Windowskey] + [SpaceBar] - i.e. keyboard change - which seems to affect [mouse wheel]+[Ctrl]+[Shift] (and other things).

Realizing NOW what to watch out for (and taking corrective actions i.e pressing [WindowsKey] + [SpaceBar]) I am now able to get the list row height values you mentioned.

As a test - I used the "tallest" 2-byte UNICODE character and the "lowest" 2-byte UNICODE character on alternate listing lines - and as expected the line height adjustment -4 is the extreme limit for non-overlapping in the listing lines (font size 24). With Windows File Explorer (scaling 100 on my display the non-overlapping font size is 24) is the equivalent.

Summary - XYplorer allows the same versatility as Windows File Explorer for listing lines (details pane).

Thanks again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow. :)

I was just curious, trying to understand. It's no problem to allow smaller values in config. Next beta will offer down to -5.

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@admin

Just for info - if font size (for listing lines in details pane) is set to 18 - then the value of -3 (not -4) is the extreme limit for NON-OVERLAPPING of the "tallest" and "lowest" 2-byte UNICODE characters. The common 7-bit ASCII characters (Code Page 437) A-Z etc can "tolerate" even tighter line spacings for non-overlap.

All of my testing resulting in my "need" for "tiny" windows of File Explorer (and NOW XYplorer which I am really liking (so versatile)) AND OTHER APPLICATIONS - in a MISSION CONTROL PANEL situation.

So for those wishing to "cram" as much file listing info as possible in tiny windows - your -5 value would be very useful (may even wish to consider -6).

It was initially a bit of a "hassle" running my display in scaling value of 100 (for High DPI display) in that the "File Edit View ..." of XYplorer was hard to read (being half-height") however the 3rd party font size app that I use with Windows File Explorer - actually applied to XYplorer also (a bonus!), resulting in the above line being "readable".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) did you try beta v21.60.0001 - 2021-03-17 15:05 ?

2) do you have a screenshot of your situation (just curious)

3) sure, -6 can be done. I will go to -9 just for reasons of symmetry. :biggrin:

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@admin

I only downloaded XYplorer as per standard download (TRIAL version - @ day #5).

Don't know about beta versions - will give it a bit of a try (when I find out where to get from).

Allow a day or two for a "MISSON CONTROL PANEL screenshot" from me - because my display is 3200 x 1800 (sort of a 3K display) a .BMP image would be about 16 Mbyte while a .PNG would be somewhat less. A .JPG would degrade the resolution too much in my opinion.

Since the image is large - I may have to give you a link to my DropBox trial page if it is too big for the attachments here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@admin

Installed the Beta as per your link above'

Attached is a "MISSON_CONTROL_PANEL" screenshot for illustration purpose only for your curiosity.

Comparison shown between Windows File Explorer and XYplorer at the kind of line spacing I am used to (all at "one pixel overlap" between listing lines). Only a few characters are affected by the clipping off the bottom pixel.

The tricky part is finding the "compromise" when working with a 3K display (3200 x 1800) which is 15 inches (i.e. 10 "white" pixels measure only 1.0mm across). The small GREEN graph is physically only 18mm wide. If my display was 30 inches then the scaling of 100 would not matter so much (since everything would be twice as big = "normal" DPI).

Also illustrated is how simultaneously one can have BOTH the ICON and THUMBNAIL (in windows I only can have one at any time). However, having the thumbnail (64x64) limits how tight the line spacing can get - any way to arrange tighter line spacing, even if it means that the thumbnails "overlap" (and possibly have 32x32 thumbnail etc, option?)
Attachments
MISSON_CONTROL_PANEL.png
MISSON_CONTROL_PANEL.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1511 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Holy Moly! :tup:

Note that you can customize the thumbnails size in the Details with Thumbnails view:
Attachments
DetailsWithThumbnailsSize.png
DetailsWithThumbnailsSize.png (45.36 KiB) Viewed 1502 times

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@admin

I changed the thumbnail size down to 32x32 (from 64x64) however using the beta version as above I can not get very tight listing line spacing (when displaying thumbnails in listing lines). Even the now smaller thumbnails cannot "touch" each other let alone the listing lines (details) themselves.

Is it possible (with the "future" -9 adjustment range) to work with this?

Also, to be able to have "touching" listing lines - the ability to make thumbnails 16x16 (which I think MAY be the same size as the ICONs) would be very helpful (of course one MAY find it difficult to interpret the thumbnail because of lack of detail - however, in my case, I have viewed the thumbnails (in varying sizes) many times and so would immediately be "reminded" what the image is (eg if 16x16 thumbnail has a lot of green and brown in it, I would know what it is)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Works well with the latest beta:
- Configuration | Preview | Thumbnails | Size #1 = 16x16
- Configuration | Preview | Thumbnails | Style = Plain
- Configuration | Preview | Thumbnails | Padding = 0

Then it looks like this with -9 line spacing:
dwt-minus9.png
dwt-minus9.png (19.07 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
I see there are some minor alignment issues. I'll look into that later.

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@admin

Just downloaded latest Beta.

Did not get effect as per your screenshot (almost there!).

This MAY be because of my High DPI display 3200 x 1800 (Windows scaling 100).

Windows 10 seems to be very "fussy" when it comes to High DPI and scaling 100 (needed for many applications demanding full High DPI resolution BUT results in "just about everything being half-size" when comparing to say "normal" DPI work).
R_-9minmousewheel.PNG
R_-9minmousewheel.PNG (111.05 KiB) Viewed 1457 times