CEA for items, request

Features wanted...
autocart

Re: CEA for items, request

Post by autocart »

sweet40 wrote: 12 Mar 2021 14:06 "You can also state a one-line script (see Scripting) as "application" in the definition of a PFA."

and I clearly see I'll need several lines to accomplish what I'm up to, concerning the custom History, for instance.
I clearly see that this is not the only reason for you to not use CFA (repsectively PFA) for your wishes, but still, as shown in my example up above, you can execute more than one scripting command in one line. Even if you would want to run a very complex script, you could just run it with the load command. Therefore, this one problem would be solved. But of course, your other points are not completely invalid, especially for yourself. I understand that.

eil

Post by eil »

just my 2 cents: no matter if that be CEA action or CFA with load - both would require script, so there is no difference, neither in bringing whole this launch-count-system to live, no in sharing with some friend(as one will need anyways to adapt scripts and locations).
the basic structure is:
- CFAs with load script
- complex script with cases or number of separate scripts per extension
- for using several programs(their versions) with same extension, either make multiple CFA(top will be default) or make popup menu with selection to how to launch this item
yep, it's complex, but the initial idea in not simple at all.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi sweet40, I know your original post was looking for CEAs on left and right click a file item, but since that's probably not going to happen, why not set up these actions that you, autocart and eil discussed with a middle mouse click. It will react on the click of a file. If middle clicking is not available to you on your mouse, it may be well worth it investing in a mouse that can deliver a middle click or at least simulate one.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

sweet40

Post by sweet40 »

well... unless we're not taking the KISS principle as a rule of thumb, yeah, that makes sense.

sorry, I'm not willing to sound harsh on this but it's the simplest way to put this in perspective, as no technical reasoning was put on table defending 'files' exception other than it being 'sacred'.

it's 2021, for Chrissake...!!!

sweet40

Post by sweet40 »

klownboy wrote: 12 Mar 2021 17:29 Hi sweet40, I know your original post was looking for CEAs on left and right click a file item, but since that's probably not going to happen, why not set up these actions that you, autocart and eil discussed with a middle mouse click. It will react on the click of a file. If middle clicking is not available to you on your mouse, it may be well worth it investing in a mouse that can deliver a middle click or at least simulate one.
hi there, klownboy (lol).
Main functionality for what I'm willing to achieve is having a simple way to control History on launched files. Anything working against simplicity should be put out of the way immediatelly, I guess. Even for the pure sake of coherence.

Yes, middle clicking may do it for mouse centered systems, which is not my case. From my point of view, since I am seeing the progress CEA has made, it's a mere matter of raising one or two entries into Configuration, opening a missing option which perfectly fits the other GUI integrations already done, coherently.

Yes, I'm exploring the possibilities you guys patiently brought and I'll certainly resource to them, as admin is silent on either reasons or interest. But not without my saucerful of secrets.

=P

notabot

Post by notabot »

@sweet40:

What you describe is in large parts possible in Everything (voidtools).
For inspiration, when writing your own version, here some details.

Whenever you Enter or double-click a file or folder, it's 'Run Count' is incremented.
When sorted by runcount, the ones with the most 'likes' are on top.
You can configure "Keep History for X days", meaning that after X days not not opening a certain file or foilder, it will be 'forgotten'. At least in the GUI; it is still stored in a file, "Run History.csv". that will looks similar to:

Code: Select all

Filename,Run Count,Last Run Date
"C:\Tools\AutoHotkey\Windows Spy (follows mouse).lnk",39,132600367950183749
"C:\2install\Everything\UpdateEverything.cmd",38,132563108848235889
"C:\test\emed64_19.8.6_portable\EmEditor.exe",26,132591636353385438
"C:\Tools",26,132584863376758390
"C:\Tools\wiztree_3_16_portable\WizTree64.exe",25,132569121263390417
"C:\test\_FileMgr\xyplorer_21.50\XYplorer.exe",15,132600359843021042
"C:\develop\Tweaks",11,132349732235184619
"C:\ProgramData",9,132584863862454980
"C:\Tools\ShellExView-x64\shexview.exe",8,132545993656263770
"C:\Windows\notepad.exe",7,132591636444081485
This will not take care of starting files with different programs. For that you will have to associate that filetype with a broker that:
- increments the runcount
- presents a menu with different programs to select from
- start the file with the chosen program.

Should be rather straightforward to script, but I don't know XYPlorer well enough for that (yet!), neither do I have the time at the moment.

FWIW: Such a broker could also be build in Everything itself ( I did write that once). If you need more information about the Everything part, you can ask me ... Everything :D

As a Quick-Fix -instead of writing your own broker - you could associate, let's say .jpg, with OPENWITH.EXE. This is part of Windows (10) and will show a list of programs you previously used to open a .jpg file. Just add the progrmas you want by rightclicking a file > Open With > your program ...
(the list in maintained in the registry : HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\fileext\.jpg\openwith/openwithProgID if you ever need to remove entries)

Hope this gives you some inspiration...

2021-03-12 20_56_35-Everything 1.4.1.1005 (x64).png
2021-03-12 20_56_35-Everything 1.4.1.1005 (x64).png (26.87 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

sweet40

Post by sweet40 »

hey!!! that's REALLY something! :appl:
notabot wrote: 12 Mar 2021 20:57 FWIW: Such a broker could also be build in Everything itself ( I did write that once). If you need more information about the Everything part, you can ask me ... Everything :D
so I have this 1.4.0.713b I keep dormant for the special occasions I can attach external drives so I can update them or the occasional searches I must run. It seems it's got updates, last time I checked it, it was dead, so

1. will this 1.4.1 interfere in this parallel version by any means?

2. can I have both running at the same time or is this something to completely avoid?

3. any portable version/s available?

I'm excited to this as, according to your answers, I may even have a second or a third instance, each with it's own purpose (a. 'static', system changes aware + mapped hard drives, which may or may not live with b. daily monitoring and c. this 'most used/recently used' need).

thanks a bunch, already!

notabot

Post by notabot »

I will write a response in more detail tomorrow (European timezone), including instructions, but a couple of quick answers:
sweet40 wrote: 12 Mar 2021 22:27 1. will this 1.4.1 interfere in this parallel version by any means?
No. Although you could let 1 Everything instance handle all these cases at once.
But during experimenting, I would advice to create a separate instance that keeps your current, dormant, Everything intact.
2. can I have both running at the same time or is this something to completely avoid?
Yes, No.
3. any portable version/s available?
Yes. Although *technically* indexing files on your system drive ("C:\") requires a service to be installed to access the Windows' "address book of files", the MFT and the "transaction log of file changes", the USN Journal.
If all files/folders you need are on other drives, for example network shares or external (USB) drives, the service is not needed.
FWIW: the service doesn't do much, other than providing a gateway to these hidden parts of Windows.
The service is part of the portable version.

notabot

Post by notabot »

Although this was meant to give more details for implementing this in XYPlorer, I don't mind explaing how this can be done in Everything. Hope it is not too much off-topic...

Installation
  • Download Portable Zip 64-bit version of Everthing (current version: Everything-1.4.1.1005.x64.zip)
  • Extract to an empty folder
  • Start with command everything.exe -instance "Run Count"
    (replace "Run Count" with any text you like, but remember it, as it will be needed later on)
  • Choose Install the "Everything" service
  • Let Everything index your local NTFS volumes (takes a couple of seconds)

Configuration
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General
  • Make sure Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything is unchecked (to keep things portable).
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders
  • Add your network share(s) here, for example X:\movies or \\server\share\test\ (the last one you need to type in the Folder: box after you pressed the Add button).
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Context Menu
  • In the Context menu items: box, click Open (Files)
  • Command = $exec(openwith.exe "%1")
  • In the Context menu items: box, click Open (Folders)
  • Command = $exec("C:\path to\XYplorer.exe" "%1")
    This will open the folder in XYPlorer.
    Note: I could not find a command-line switch to open a folder in a new tab. If there is, use that.
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > History
  • Configure Run History to your liking
    That will require some experimenting to find out what works best for you.
  • Click the OK Button to save all changes.
  • Create a shortcut (on your desktop?) to start this "Run Count" instance

"c:\path to\everything.exe" -instance "Run Count"

Optional
  • Create a Filter to limit the files/folders that are shown in the result list:
    • In the search bar, type (this is an example to show you the Everything Search Syntax)

X:\movies|"c:\test folder"    !"x:\movies\already done"   !\ignore\   <ext:mpg;mkv   !ext:txt;doc> | folder:   dm:last20days
      (extra spaces added for clarity; they are not needed)
      That will limit the results to files and folders that:
      - are below X:\movies or "c:\test folder", minus the ones that are below "x:\movies\already done" or in a folder called ignore
      - Have extension mpg or mkv and dont have extension txt or doc OR are a folder
      - are modified (dm=date modified) in the last 20 days
    • Go to Menu:Search > Organize Filters
    • Click the New button.
    • Change the Name to something meaningful and click OK
  • Make that filter the default:
    Menu:Tools > Options > Home: Filter = "Something meaningful"
  • Make sure results are sorted by Run Count:
    Menu:Tools > Options > Home: Sort = Run Count (Descending)

Usage
Start Everything with the shortcut you created earlier
Type a few characters from the filename you are looking for
Enter or Double-click to open the file with openwith.exe. Select or add your program to the list
The run count of that file will be incremented. It will now be moved to the top.

That's it.

Note:
You can also change the run count of files manually:
Select one or more files in the resultlist, Menu:File > Set Run Count (also available in context menu)

Extra
Start Everything on system startup
Open path with double click in path column (Results)
Folders schedule
Global hotkey to start Everything

Instead of using Openwith.exe, you can also consider to open the file using XYPlorer, as it has a Portable Openwith Menu

Uninstall

"C:\path to\Everything.exe -instance "Run Count" -uninstall

You can delete the remaining files in that folder manually. There are no related files outside thsi folder.

I hope I didn't skip too many steps ...

notabot

Post by notabot »

Thanks for providing some feedback @sweet40! :-(

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

notabot wrote: 25 Mar 2021 12:45 Thanks for providing some feedback @sweet40! :-(
Looks like s/he left the building. :om: