include Everything (voidtools) → major speed-up! :-D

Features wanted...
rpnfan

include Everything (voidtools) → major speed-up! :-D

Post by rpnfan »

XY does not use the search-technology from Everything (www.voidtools.com) to have always an updated NTFS file index. It should! :-) That would be great and could speed things up drastically for functions like "Show folder sizes", which I would love to have always on, but it just slows down XY so much. There are other places as well of course where that would give such a boost to the responsiveness of XY!

Would there be a reason not to do that???? IMO that would really contribute to transform XY to a new level in "feeled quickness".

I know Everything is used in some other commercial applications, so that should be doable from the license point of view. I haven't checked the details although.

rpnfan

Re: include Everything (voidtools) → major speed-up! :-D

Post by rpnfan »

rpnfan wrote: 30 Oct 2020 11:32 XY does not use the search-technology from Everything (www.voidtools.com) to have always an updated NTFS file index. It should! :-) That would be great and could speed things up drastically for functions like "Show folder sizes", which I would love to have always on, but it just slows down XY so much. There are other places as well of course where that would give such a boost to the responsiveness of XY!

Would there be a reason not to do that???? IMO that would really contribute to transform XY to a new level in "feeled quickness".

I know Everything is used in some other commercial applications, so that should be doable from the license point of view. I haven't checked the details although.
No comment from no one? Is nobody looking for more speed when using XY?

highend

Post by highend »

I'm already using Listary (v5) with XYplorer. Have no need for XY integrating with Everything...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

Thanks for the pointer. I was / am not aware of Listary. Seems basically pretty similar to Everything in regards to file search. One difference is that Everything is free to use and AFAIK can also be integrated _in_ the software directly. So I think still that would be a plus if XY would include the search engine from Everything. Seems to me very logical not to need to fiddle around with extra software packages. :-)

EDIT: I just tried Listary. Indeed it is not a replacement to integrate Everythings search engine inside XY directly. I personally don't like how Listary works in addition.

yusef88

Post by yusef88 »

rpnfan wrote: 30 Oct 2020 11:32 I know Everything is used in some other commercial applications, so that should be doable from the license point of view. I haven't checked the details although.
Total Commander has built-in Everything integration and search results is almost instant.
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtop ... 647#p20705

eil

Post by eil »

rpnfan wrote: 30 Oct 2020 11:32Would there be a reason not to do that???? IMO that would really contribute to transform XY to a new level in "feeled quickness".
as you asked why nobody is commenting, i'll just mention my 5 cents. never used any index searches and always disabled them in system, 'cause: 1- it's not really a search, but "checking table with results made before"; 2- i'm really not a fan of constantly making extra operations to my hard-drive to make it die faster.
XY is already fast enough and makes search operation when it's needed, instead of constant useless underground surveillance over thousands of files i would never ever need to search at all.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

7iben

Post by 7iben »

I can only confirm it would be fantastic to integrate everything into xyplorer.
The search takes place immediately without waiting. Xyplorer search is very, very slow = unusable
That's why I linked xyplorer via script

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Uh, no. Don't know what's wrong at your end, but XY's search is extremely fast and everybody knows that.

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

eil wrote: 11 Dec 2020 12:33
rpnfan wrote: 30 Oct 2020 11:32Would there be a reason not to do that???? IMO that would really contribute to transform XY to a new level in "feeled quickness".
as you asked why nobody is commenting, i'll just mention my 5 cents. never used any index searches and always disabled them in system, 'cause: 1- it's not really a search, but "checking table with results made before"; 2- i'm really not a fan of constantly making extra operations to my hard-drive to make it die faster.
XY is already fast enough and makes search operation when it's needed, instead of constant useless underground surveillance over thousands of files i would never ever need to search at all.
I understand your thoughts, although a search will always take some time. I also hat indexing services in general. In contrast Everything uses the NTFS file table which is there and updated from the OS anyways. It just reads the file table once (takes maybe a minute or whatever) and then will just monitor the NTFS file table -- so no extra overhead indexing going on at all.

@ Donald: Even a quick search is much slower and I still think that integrating the technology from Everything would be greatly beneficial for XY. Have you taken a look how Everything (www.voidtools.com) works and how the technology can be used in other applications as well?

I just did a search for a file name on the complete harddrive from XY. It took 3 minutes and 21 seconds to complete. With Everything the search result is displayed as you type -- instantly! :-) Of course I can fire up Everything when I search for something. But it would be great when XY would use the technology to speed up those parts where the information can be found in the NTFS tables.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I researched this years ago and didn't find anything usable.

Now I looked again and found something interesting right away:
https://blogs.msmvps.com/bsonnino/2019/ ... tructures/

Not easy but possible. I make a mental note.

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

admin wrote: 01 Oct 2021 13:34 I researched this years ago and didn't find anything usable.

That's great. :-)

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 »

admin wrote: 01 Oct 2021 13:34 I researched this years ago and didn't find anything usable.

+1 for this :tup:

That would be actually amazing if it could be implemented natively in XY. Like the LiveFilter, but for your entire pc!

Horst

Post by Horst »

There are allready 2 scripts available from the forum using Everything and storing the results in a Paper folder.
I don't miss any native XY implementation.

Input your query and get the results in a Paper folder:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23224&hilit=Create+ ... ontent.ahk

Use the Everything GUI and get the current results in a Paper folder:
viewtopic.php?p=190089#p190089
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 »

I use that script right now, because that's the best available option.
But it doesn't come close to the ease, convenience and speed of a native implementation.

With the scripts, you still have to open another app, do your search there, then import into XY. And if you want to modify your search, do the whole cycle again.

Think of why the Live Filter feature was implemented when we already had a search feature. It's just faster and more accessible. Imagine a LiveFilter for your whole pc. You just start typing the name of whatever you want.. and there it is instantly.