By Default Auto Skip Operating System, Update & Registry Folders & Files For Quick Search

Features wanted...
Tacobellrox
Location: Planet Earth (You can usually find me and my co-workers most weekdays @ lunch time @ Taco Bell)

By Default Auto Skip Operating System, Update & Registry Folders & Files For Quick Search

Post by Tacobellrox »

Is there is a way to "Quick Search" "This PC" and have it skip all of the Windows Operating System, Windows Registry and Windows Update files and folders automatically? If there is can you please post a link to those instructions, or better yet an image tutorial of how to accomplish this, I think I need pictures lol :oops:

Another member tried to explain it to me but either I was unable to form the question properly or maybe unable to understand his directions lol and yeah, I feel like a moron for not understanding but it is what it is and the last thing I want to do is ask for help, so I am here under duress lol. Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated,
Last edited by Tacobellrox on 10 Sep 2020 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: By Default Auto Skip Operating System, Update & Registry Folders & Files For Quick Search

Post by admin »

Look at the Excluded tab, and don't forget to tick it at the right side checkboxes.
Attachments
ExcludedTab.png
ExcludedTab.png (12.79 KiB) Viewed 2372 times

Tacobellrox
Location: Planet Earth (You can usually find me and my co-workers most weekdays @ lunch time @ Taco Bell)

Re: By Default Auto Skip Operating System, Update & Registry Folders & Files For Quick Search

Post by Tacobellrox »

Thank you for the image it is very helpful. Ok, I added the check mark to "Excluded", added the folders, saved settings and then restarted XYplorer. I did a Quick Search but it still is looking through Windows folders (and the other folders) I must be doing something wrong.
Again, thank you for your time.
Attachments
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_4.png (175.43 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try to add an asterisk at the end: C:\Windows\*

Tacobellrox

Post by Tacobellrox »

Thanks for your reply. Ok, I added an asterisk to the selected folders, saved settings and then restarted XYplorer. I did a Quick Search but it still is looking through Windows folders (and the other folders). Have I broken my XYplorer? lol I must be missing something maybe?
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (42.88 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) You ticked "File". Untick it for every folder you want to exclude.
2) If you start your search directly in the excluded folder, it will be included. That's XY's "smartness". :)

Tacobellrox

Post by Tacobellrox »

Once I figure this out, I promise I will stop bothering the forum for help lol
Ok, I removed the check-mark from "File" on all of the folders that I want to be excluded, made sure each folder had an asterisk, saved setting, restarted XYplorer and it is still looking through Windows folders lol.
Last edited by Tacobellrox on 11 Sep 2020 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, my info about the asterisk was rubbish: it is NOT needed.

The cause of your trouble is the following: nothing is excluded on Quick Search (F3). The items listed on the Excluded tab only affect Find Files (Find Now button).

Tacobellrox

Post by Tacobellrox »

Awesome to know, thank you. So I am in the right place after all lol "Wishes" I am guessing this is like the section of the forum for suggestions. I know nothing about programming but is it possible to add a feature that would enable Quick Search button to abide by the same search settings as the Find Files button?

Thank you for your time and resolving that issue because it was driving me off the edge lol. Anyways, that would be cool if we had the same search ability preferences in the Quick Search button as well. One last question since I am going to ditch the Quick Search button and start using the Find Files instead after all these years. Is it possible to adjust a setting so that when we search through the Find Files button, is it possible to have the panel drop down automatically (out of the way of in the search results window) as soon as we hit the Find Now button?
Find Files Button.png
Find Files Button.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Find Now Panel.png
Find Now Panel.png (57.91 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Find Now Button.png
Find Now Button.png (800 Bytes) Viewed 1883 times
That is the reason I choose to use Quick Search all these years because of that one extra step of having to minimize the panel manually. Sounds trivial but my ocd is in charge of determining what I am comfortable with lol. I have searched for a "panel auto drop down" feature but never found it.

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tacobellrox wrote: 11 Sep 2020 16:45 Awesome to know, thank you. So I am in the right place after all lol "Wishes" I am guessing this is like the section of the forum for suggestions. I know nothing about programming but is it possible to add a feature that would enable Quick Search button to abide by the same search settings as the Find Files button?
Hm, cool idea! :tup: I'll see what I can do...

Why did you post pictures of buttons? :D :eh:

Tacobellrox

Post by Tacobellrox »

I dont know probably because I suck @ computer stuff lol and I though I should post the images in case I was calling them by the wrong name and you didnt know what I meant lol I was baffled for the last few days trying to figure this out, then I finally desided to ask for help and the encounter I had on this forum when I first asked about this... lets just say "didnt go so well".

"I'll see what I can do.." < you mean that you know how to do that stuff and my suggestion might be a possibility? lol That would be freakin' Awesooooooooooooome! :D Thank you!

Should I check back here every so often or how will we know if you made it happen?

Thanks! (epicdancemovesemojiinhonoroftheadmin)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's already there: viewtopic.php?p=180429#p180429

Download it and test it.

In the meantime I had a better idea. Instead of that tweak I will simply use the existing command menu "Edit | Find Files..." to pop that little "Find Files" dialog, so one can have both Quick Search and Files Find side by side. Next beta...

Tacobellrox

Post by Tacobellrox »

Ha! You are kiddin' me right? Already! That is epic! OK I am going to DL it and try! Ok I downloaded it, do i need to copy and paste that code into XYplorer? If so where?

Update: I downloaded it and set the windows folder to be skipped but when i did quick search it is still looking through windows lol I broke it didnt I lol

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Code: Select all

FindNameSearchToFindFiles=1
how to tweak:
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak

Tacobellrox

Post by Tacobellrox »

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! It works now! Ha! It is the little victories in life that matter and you just made my day! highend was unable to figure this out. When I first posted this question his first contact with me was ridicule, but I ignored it because I needed help, then he was condescending the entire time and before he gave up he insinuated that I shouldn't need help because I have been using XYplorer for 5 years and been a member here for 3 years.

I let highend know the issue was resolved, thanks him and told him i didnt appreciate being ridiculed, and instead of acknowledging it, he erased any proof of his ignorance towards me and then threatened to ban me, I guess he wasnt to happy that not only was he super rude but he failed to do what this admin was easily able to do.

The truth hurts especially to fragile people who can not accept it and are not practiced in taking responsibility for their actions. So I am guessing my account will be gone since he is an obvious cancel culture rat and thretened to do so. If i need help in a few years again with XYplorer I will have to sign back up through my vpn with a new name, I mean its been years since I have come here seeking assistance because I like doing things myself and only ask for help if i am 100% stumped, Anyways, that angry rude person named highend had a paypal button under his name and that got me thinking about your company...

When I paid for the full version of XYplorer I assume that we are also paying for customer service, the bottom line is that I hope highend did not see one dime from my purchase because I teach for a living and have been an educator for over 45 years, this guy highend should not be interacting with your paying clients. He has been here 9 years so I know I can not be the only person who has reported him after experiencing his ignorance, threats, belittling and ridicule. I did not hear back from anyone after i made the official report but he was reported right after he ridiculed me and then ran away so who ever got the report SAW THE COMMUNICATIONS BEFORE highend could erase it all. That is not now you treat paying customers and he is the worst possible representative for your company no matter how how smart he is, he is insulting the your paying clients and that is not good in any business.

Anyways, No more having to close the XYplorer panel! Just awesome. Thank you again. highend had a paypal link under his name but I do not see that paypal link under the admin's messages?, if he or she sees this message please let me know how to send you a $100.00. well worth every penny. please try to send me your paypal link probably best to do it through my email since as soon as that fraile guy highend sees this he will erase it and I will be banned but I still insist on paying you for resolving a matter that has been an issue for a very long time on my Xyplorer. Cheers.

Thanks
Last edited by Tacobellrox on 12 Sep 2020 16:38, edited 1 time in total.