64-bit Preview

Features wanted...
klownboy

Re: 64-bit Preview

Post by klownboy »

With beta v20.90.0910 and preview64 set to 1, all my DOC and PDFs properly display scrolled to the top. :tup:

There still still seems to be an issue Don with transitioning from one Type Stats Filter to another.

When I change from viewing doc to pdf files via TypeStatsFilter (with Preview active) even though a pdf file may be selected not just focused, instead of displaying the pdf file I have a message on the Preview screen stating "Cannot preview". So from here on, when I click other pdf files I get the same old doc file I had in the previous TypeStatsFilter (Note: I click on them but they are gray focused not selected blue).

Whereas, if I restart XY and go to the same folder and this time using the toggle Visual Filter button select "Office files" such that both docs and pdf are shown in the list pane, if I do the same as above first selecting a doc and then selecting pdf files they all (both doc and pdf) display properly.

I'm not sure if there is some kind of focus vs selected issue when using the Type StatsFilter and possible causing or is at least related to the above issue. Shouldn't you be able to select a file in the list pane after you have changed the TypeStatsFilter filter from one filter to another (e.g., doc then pdf). Instead, when I click on a file, it's only focused (gray instead of my select color blue. It's in this state that the issue above is occurring - the file selected from the DOC TypeStatsFilter is still selected in though I'm now in PDF TypeStatsFilter clicking on pdf files (but these files even though I'm clicking on them they're only gray not selected blue).

Apparently that initial "selected" DOC file is getting locked in XY and even though the filter is changed, you can click on a file, but you can't properly "select" another file which is PDF. XY continues to show the DOC file. This seems to be not totally repeatable though. I've had instances when even the first selected filter (DOC files) does not allow selecting the a file it's only focused.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What if you click in the tree (onto the white space) and then back into the list. Can you now select a new file?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Now I'm also seeing other occasions when I perform the same action (i.e., change the TypeStatsFilter from doc to pdf) and the files are selected not just focused, but it's still locked onto the doc file when clicking pdfs. Most of the time when I filter into PDFs from DOC files, the first file in the list of PDFs is focused and I click on it to select it nothing changes (i.e., it's not selected). If I click into the tree and back on the same PDF file (the first in the list) it does get selected but it's still not previewed even if I preform multiple clicks. If I then click on other PDF files, the preview is still the original doc file. So I clicked back and forth between the tree and PDFs in teh list and I still see the doc file in the Preview.

Ahh but I did notice that if I'm filtering DOC files with the TypeStatsFilter and before changing to a PDFs using TypeStatsFilter, instead of leaving a DOC file selected, I deselect the file by clicking white space, when I transition to viewing PDFs they display fine in the Preview. That seems to be fairly consistent on multiple runs closing and restarting XY between them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to ensure: All these issues only arise when you use TypeStatsFilter?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Well for the most part it seems to me that the issues of not being able to preview or the file being locked is confined to switching TypeStatsFilter. However, forget the TypeStatsFilter for now, if you simply go from a non-filtered view to a Office files view using Toggle Visual Filter, there seems to be the same issue regarding file in focus or selected. If you are viewing a PDF file in a non-filtered view and it's selected then go to filter Office files. You'll see that the file is still selected but the preview screen message states "Can not Preview" which seems odd (i.e., the filtering devoids the preview even though the same file is maintained selected). If I click on the same file again it still will not preview unless I first click on another file and clicking in the tree doesn't help.

Whereas if I perform the same action of going between filtering Office files and no filter with a DOC file selected, the preview of the DOC is maintained in the preview window. So XY is handling the transition from filtered to unfiltered differently for DOC and PDFs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can' t see this here on Win8.1/Word 2010 nor on Win10/Word 365.

It might be connected to a setting. Can you reproduce it with a fresh instance? ( I cannot)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

It looks like that particular issue of the PDF staying displayed in the Preview Pane could be a settings issue or difference since both DOC and PDFs maintained their display in Preview when switching in an out of Visual Filter with a Fresh copy. However, I changed the tweak preview64 back to "0" with my normal XY instance and it also worked fine - the files maintained their display when filters changed. I then returned XY to "preview64=1" and got the same original result with PDF files not maintaining the view when switching the Office Files filter on and off. So if it is a setting, it's only a problem with the preview64=1 and and not with it set to "0".

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Unfortunately I'm still see an issue with the lastest beta v20.90.0912. I think the easy way to test is to simply turn Preview on and go from unfiltered to filtered Office Files (using Toggle Visual Filter button) in a folder that contains both PDFs and DOCs. When I select a DOC file and cycle back and forth with the Toggle Visual Filter button, the file remains "selected" and the Preview continues to display the DOC without having to do anything like clicking or re-clicking on the file.

If I do the same with a PDF file, the file does not remain selected it goes to a focus state so you end up seeing the "Can not Preview" message and have to click on another file and then back to the original PDF to see it displayed. It seems that it doesn't matter what state (filtered or unfiltered) you start the cycling, the next state will display the "Can not Preview" message. I guess it possibly could be a setting difference, but I'm not sure why we'd have a different result for a DOC and PDF files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I have to give up. It just does not happen here.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

No problem Don. I wish I knew what setting could potentially be affecting it, but I'm setting preview64 back to "0" anyway so it doesn't really matter. Though it might be nice if someone else on Windows 10 x64 checked this out.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree. Here in the forum the 64-bit preview got little response. For me it's the best feature in a long time. The biggest hole is now filled. :beer:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 28 Aug 2020 17:31 Here in the forum the 64-bit preview got little response.
My entire file related environment is build around XYplorer "32". Actually , I don't even know wether I have some 64-bit preview handler installed. Is there any way I can do some meaningful tests without the need to e. g. install O365 64?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Filehero, I hope all is well. I don't have Office (any version) installed. To test the XYplorer previewing feature (preview64.exe), I think you just need to have some doc or docx files and make sure the tweak preview64=1 is set. In the last betas Don has set the default as preview64=0 so it uses 32bit handler as the first / default choice like in my case PDFxChange viewer for PDFs. As you can read from some of my earlier posts, for the most part preview64 worked fine for me other than the fact that PDF files would not stay selected when transitioning from a filtered to an unfiltered view.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Congrats on getting this all implemented, :party:

I just wanted to confirm something with you Don, you have only been mentioning Office files in relation to Preview64, but this new capability has had a dramatic effect on Video/Audio preview. and I assume other things.

In the past I have never bothered installing x64 handlers/codecs because there was no need (and still haven't tried installing them yet to test), so anyway, now when Preview64 is present, and I try and preview a Audio/Video file (mp4, mkv, m4a, aac...) I get the "Cannot Preview" message, so my question is, from now on is that how it is going to work? Users will need to install x64 for everything to get preview working again, or remove the Preview64.exe?, ie. no fallback to x32, Or am I doing something wrong? FYI QAP still works.

I also get the following ladybug error when selecting a file that used to be previewed by WMP (mp3, avi) with the preview pane open, and it then does load using the normal preview method (quartz), floating preview is a still image though now.

Code: Select all

Error 445

Error:  	445 (0x000001BD)
Desc:   	Object doesn't support this action
Dll:    	0
Proc:   	prev_ShowPreview

Source: 	XYplorer
XY ver: 	XYplorer 20.90.0913
OS:     	Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit, Release 2004, Build 19041.450
Locale: 	1033 (en-US)
ANSI:   	1252, ACP: 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
Font:   	Segoe UI 9.6, DBCS: No
DPI:    	120 (125%), 1920x1080

Date:   	2020-08-29 10:27:22
edit: Strangely PDF preview is continuing to work correctly, fallback using x32, I can't test doc, xls etc...

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Ken,

thanks for the pointers.

From some quick tests with preview64=1 previewing seems to stay ok (Office, PDF, some raw images). From the release notes this means, that I have more 64-bit handlers installed than I knew. :tup:

Now the script engine needs a 64-bit wrapper (just a joke ...). :ninja: