Please add an "Apply" button to Configuration modal.

Features wanted...
fizzybiz

Please add an "Apply" button to Configuration modal.

Post by fizzybiz »

When fiddling with visual adjustments, like colours, it would be really handly to be able to click "Apply" to see how they look, while keeping the Configuration window open, to continue making adjustments.

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Please add an "Apply" button to Configuration modal.

Post by admin »

Ha, easier said than done. No, you have to OK the dialog to see what you've done for now. "Apply" would only make sense if you could Cancel if you don't like it, and that would be incredibly complex.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

As I understand it, Apply isn't usually to allow cancel, but to continue changing without need to recall the change-dialog.
I.e. you change, Apply, have a look, and if neccessary continue to change - until you feel it's ok.

It seems to me fizzybiz meant the same.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, that would be easier.

But still: A number of settings (colors, fonts) affect the Configuration dialog itself. They can only be applied of the dialog is closed and reloaded.

johndk

Post by johndk »

An "Apply" button is only supposed to let you make changes without having to close the window; there is no expectation that you can undo any of those changes via Cancel (you can see that with probably any other program that has an Apply button; once you've clicked Apply, you cannot just Cancel to revert... see the Windows Explorer settings for an example). So all that we (the many people requesting this feature) are asking for is to be able to make the changes without having to reopen the window before making another change (which is *extremely* tedious and time consuming when making lots of changes, especially since it takes about 5 seconds to open the config window each time).

I think all of us would be very happy with just a note on the relevant config sections which won't be updated until the window is reopened. Or just a note under the Apply button such as "Changes will not affect the Configuration window until it is reopened". And if for some reason you didn't want to do that, there could be a hidden option to show the Apply button, which would need to be manually set in the config file. So when people come to the forum looking for the Apply button, they'll find out about the special setting and will read the description explaining that it won't work for those config sections.

I can't emphasize enough how frustrating it is to not have the Apply button. It makes me avoid trying a lot of the settings because it would just take too much time. Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

5 seconds?! Takes about 0.5 sec here.

Anyway, I think about it.

johndk

Post by johndk »

Thank you for considering it.

As for the time it takes to open the config window, I just measured it more accurately, and it took just under 4 seconds. I'm sadly forced to use the OS abomination known as Windows 10, which greatly slows down an otherwise nicely functional machine. The same laptop running Windows 7 had been much faster. In fact, after being forced to install Win 10, the main reason I put XYplorer on was because the normal File Explorer windows are sooooo slow. I've noticed that on every Win 10 machine I've used. Win 7 is just so much snappier. It's a decently powerful laptop (Core i7-6820HQ 2.7Ghz with 24GB RAM). I see the same issue testing in a VM - on a Win 7 VM, the config window opens in less than a second, but on a Win 10 VM with just the OS running it takes several seconds. Microsoft is evil...

Horst

Post by Horst »

johndk wrote: 26 Feb 2021 17:24 Thank you for considering it.

As for the time it takes to open the config window, I just measured it more accurately, and it took just under 4 seconds. I'm sadly forced to use the OS abomination known as Windows 10, which greatly slows down an otherwise nicely functional machine. The same laptop running Windows 7 had been much faster. In fact, after being forced to install Win 10, the main reason I put XYplorer on was because the normal File Explorer windows are sooooo slow. I've noticed that on every Win 10 machine I've used. Win 7 is just so much snappier. It's a decently powerful laptop (Core i7-6820HQ 2.7Ghz with 24GB RAM). I see the same issue testing in a VM - on a Win 7 VM, the config window opens in less than a second, but on a Win 10 VM with just the OS running it takes several seconds. Microsoft is evil...
Sorry but this is no normal Windows 10 behaviour.
Here ist takes much less than 3 seconds to start the configuration dialog.
I guess you always install some strange Anti-virus or whatever software which delays normal operation.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

johndk

Post by johndk »

No extra AV or other weird stuff installed. I even turned off Windows Defender to see if that would help. And like I mentioned, the huge difference is also noticeable in a VM with *no* extra software installed - just the Microsoft defaults. (And if the config window even takes 2 seconds for you, you are suffering from Win 10 lag also, since it comes up in less than a second on Win 7.) Win 10 is just slow. But regardless, I did not mean to derail this topic with a debate on Win 10. I don't think we should discuss that anymore here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Next beta will have the Apply button. 8)

johndk

Post by johndk »

Awesome, thank you SOOO much!!! I really appreciate it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The recommended order of those buttons in Windows seems to be:
OK - Cancel - Apply - Help

So, should I rearrange the buttons to this order?
Jump to Setting... - OK - Cancel - Apply - Help

Horst

Post by Horst »

admin wrote: 05 Mar 2021 10:57 The recommended order of those buttons in Windows seems to be:
OK - Cancel - Apply - Help

So, should I rearrange the buttons to this order?
Jump to Setting... - OK - Cancel - Apply - Help
Good idea
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

johndk

Post by johndk »

Sounds good to me!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, done already and uploaded (beta).