Disable mini tree history

Features wanted...
Function

Disable mini tree history

Post by Function »

Hi team,

Occasionally I get this error when starting XYplorer and have to clear out the history. Then it comes back up once it's full and slowing down the application again.

I don't use mini tree and don't need history enabled. Is there some way to turn off this feature and get the productivity boost?
Apologies if it's a fairly straight forward solution, but I looked on the documentation for mini tree and there was no mention. Google was not particularly helpful either.
XYplorer_2020-05-29_12-00-51.png
XYplorer_2020-05-29_12-00-51.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

Karn

Re: Disable mini tree history

Post by Karn »

I, too, would like an option to disable the Tree (and mini tree) entirely. For a long while I've been living with very slow startup times for XYplorer (on the order of dozens of seconds). I've also been getting freezes during simple file operations, that bizarrely affect my audio playback with stutters and static.

I just discovered how to switch to the mini tree and that has solved my problem, but it would be nice for those of use who never use the tree to be able to switch it off completely.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Karn wrote: 15 Jun 2020 22:14 I just discovered how to switch to the mini tree and that has solved my problem, but it would be nice for those of use who never use the tree to be able to switch it off completely.
Did you try Window > Show Tree?

Karn

Post by Karn »

Er... when I said "switch it off completely," I didn't mean "hide it from view." I meant that it would be nice to be able to turn off the tree functionality entirely. As in, prevent the code that builds up the tree data structure from running at all.

nas8e9

Re:

Post by nas8e9 »

Karn wrote: 15 Jun 2020 23:54 Er... when I said "switch it off completely," I didn't mean "hide it from view." I meant that it would be nice to be able to turn off the tree functionality entirely. As in, prevent the code that builds up the tree data structure from running at all.
Ah, of course. Did you post elsewhere about your performance problems? They seem quite severe and unlike anything I have personally experienced; does network browsing come into it?

highend

Post by highend »

Workaround:

01. Switch to mini tree
02. Lock the tree
03. Hide the tree
04. Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | [x] No network browsing on startup
05. Save settings and exit

06. Open the XYplorer.ini file (while XYplorer is still closed) and delete the content for

Code: Select all

MiniTreePaths=
MaxiTreePaths=
07. Save the .ini

08. Start XY again
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Karn

Post by Karn »

That does more or less exactly what I wanted, thank you very much @highend.

Karn

Re: Re:

Post by Karn »

nas8e9 wrote: 16 Jun 2020 01:04 Ah, of course. Did you post elsewhere about your performance problems? They seem quite severe and unlike anything I have personally experienced; does network browsing come into it?
No, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that today was the first time I searched for something like "xyplorer slow launch." I had previously assumed that it had something to do with my security configuration. Furthermore, I restart XYplorer so occasionally -- usually only when I reboot my machine -- that slow startup time isn't that big a problem.

The other problem, with the XYplorer freezes and the audio stutters, was more annoying. I can't be sure that's been resolved -- it only shows up after a few days of uptime -- so I have to wait and see.

nas8e9

Re: Re:

Post by nas8e9 »

Karn wrote: 16 Jun 2020 02:06 The other problem, with the XYplorer freezes and the audio stutters, was more annoying. I can't be sure that's been resolved -- it only shows up after a few days of uptime -- so I have to wait and see.
You have an interesting configuration :|. It's not a question of memory being exhausted after a few days due to some memory leak?

Karn

Post by Karn »

Memory usage is fine, I'm fairly sure the problems had to do with filesystem access. The XYplorer freezes (10-20 seconds long) would happen intermittently when copying/moving items, or creating new subfolders, in a folder that already has a lot of items. This makes me think that XYplorer's tree had grown too large, and trying to update it was the cause of the freezes.

Not sure what you mean by interesting configuration, though... I haven't posted any system configuration info...?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Karn wrote: 16 Jun 2020 04:22 Not sure what you mean by interesting configuration, though... I haven't posted any system configuration info...?
I meant that you have an unusual bad time running XYplorer, especially after some uptime.

Karn

Post by Karn »

Yeah, well, the near-infinite combinations of hardware and software can give rise to some obscure bugs. I run a very locked-down security config and that has caused slow launch times for quite a few applications over the years, so that's my first suspect when something like this happens.

Anyway, XYplorer is back to being lightning-fast, I'll take a win like that any day.

Function

Post by Function »

Getting back to the topic at hand, the Mini Tree cannot be disabled by default without a workaround like @highend's. As someone that doesn't use the Mini Tree, it seems silly that it would be recording all of these directory changes in the background and then slow down the load times of the program. There should be a way to disable saving browsing history through an option in the program's preferences.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

With highend's steps above (including the locking of the tree) there should be no more log of location changes in the Mini Tree section of the ini, thus problem solved.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)