Auto Size Name Column When Window Shrinks Smaller

Features wanted...
Gandolf

Re: Auto Size Name Column When Window Shrinks Smaller

Post by Gandolf »

Fresh install 21.10.0021.

Check Flexible name column width.

Reduce name column width to 3 or 4 characters (lower pane) in order to display, if necessary, more columns.

Move navigation panel/list splitter to the right - name column (and all columns) stay the same.

Move navigation panel/list splitter to the LEFT - name column now increases indefinitely and other columns DO NOT COME INTO VIEW.

You've dug yourself into a deep hole with this setting!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem. Fixed on first coffee. :cup:

BTW, how about "Adaptive name column width"?

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

Hey Don, while you're still working on Adaptive name column width, would it be possible to add another setting: Maximum width?

Often I can't see most columns because the name column pushes them outside of the pane.
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With v21.10.0025?

What causes this? "Adaptive name column width" or "Autosize columns"?

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

Doh!.....I see now....Autosize columns. :oops:

Just what I needed. :beer:
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can limit it here: Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Autosize columns maximum width (0 = unlimited)

PS: I have a cool idea for this I will implement today...

autocart

Post by autocart »

Probably a nice idea, but it still is a bit buggy, e.g. when I "restore/shrink" the window and then "maximize" it again, the name column is much wider than the list view (although before all columns fit nicely) although the minimum width is set to a narrower value than the lists width and the strings in the name column are also shorter. When I turn it off, the name column's width does not change.

This feature also is potentially confusing in connection with "autosize columns".

Maybe I also have wrong expectations as far as its behaviour and it just needs a more detailed explaination? (I don't think so, but it could be.)
This is just some feedback. (Don't count me in for debugging, though.)

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

"Adaptive name column width" could mean the name column changes dependent on the time of day, or the weather, or how much coffee you have drunk!

It would appear that a catchy name is preferable to you than an accurate description of what the setting does. "Adaptive name column width" gives absolutely no indication as to what the setting does. I give up.

I see you've also removed it as the default setting - does that mean you don't think it's "absolutely useful" after all?

Just spent a couple of days in cardiology for my annual heart check. Hence the lack of activity - it was an enjoyable rest.

More bugs!!!!!!

xy 21.10.0027.
Fresh.
Enable Adaptive name column width.
bug1:
Name column shrinks in size (and names are truncated), for no good reason - there is white space to the right of the last column.
bug2:
Move Navigation panel / list pane splitter to the left until names are no longer truncated.
All columns except name DISAPPEAR!
or
Move Navigation panel / list pane splitter to the right until only name column shows.
Move Navigation panel / list pane splitter back left.
Other columns never re-appear.

The same applies by changing the window width.

You shouldn't have gloated about fixing the last bug I reported so quickly. As I said, you are digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole. I (and I'm sure you) wish I'd never started to look at this name column width thing.

This one made me laugh - it's just too crazy for words! It may depend on screen size, this is on a 1280 X 1024.

Fresh.
Enable Adaptive name column width.
Maximize.
Restore.
Maximize.
Restore.
Where have the other columns gone?? Name column is now maximum width.

HAVE A GOOD DAY!!

jupe

Post by jupe »

I was just quickly testing this new feature, and I have to agree it produces some strange behavior, I also don't understand when I maximize the XY window I get a huge amount of whitespace in the name column, I don't have autosize normally enabled and just invoke "autosize now" when needed, so I would of thought the name column just changing to its autosize value, would be maybe ok when the window was maximized, and then back to minimum width when restored down, but instead it goes full width and makes it harder to see any of the other columns values, I tried playing around with the margin but it seemed to have no impact, or I am just confused about its fuction.

Notice sorted by Len, longest filename at the top:
Attachments
2020-10-01_150032.png
2020-10-01_150032.png (16.72 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Autosize is a different approach and it takes more time the longer the list. This feature here is not content-based. That the Name column grows unnecessarily wide when the window gets wide is an inherent part of this feature.

The bugs you saw were brand-new and came from yesterday's "Autosize name column right margin" feature. Easily fixed. :wink:

nuit

Post by nuit »

Xyplorer, can the same auto size treatment be applied to the Find results pane too, please?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is. Isn't it?

nuit

Post by nuit »

Opps, my bad. Yes, it auto shrinks/sizes/adaptive/magic/etc. I had not customized the layout of the find (search) results window (assuming it can be?) to match my customized list view.

jupe

Post by jupe »

I thought I'd have another go at testing and trying to understand this feature since the subsequent changes.

Something that I noticed worth mentioning, that seemed unexpected to me, if you enable the adaptive option and put a large margin to try and avoid having a lot of blank space, and then manually invoke autosize columns by one of the various methods, it won't autosize the name column to the size needed to display the longest filename, the margin takes precedence, causing under sizing.

I have decided not to enable this feature so I am not fussed about the above behavior I just thought I'd mention it, in case it wasn't by design.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you talking about "Autosize name column right margin (0 = none)"? This is independent of "Adaptive name column width".