Select corrupt/invalid image files

Features wanted...
Karn

Select corrupt/invalid image files

Post by Karn »

When browsing folders of images recovered from failing hard drives, many of the images are corrupt and unrecoverable. At present, if I want to delete those images, I have to switch to thumbnail view, then manually select the images for which thumbnails failed to be generated, and delete them. It would be very helpful if XYplorer had a feature to select corrupt images automatically.

highend

Re: Select corrupt/invalid image files

Post by highend »

By your definition: That would require XY to create thumbnails for all images automatically -> Thumbnail view...

Create a .zip archive for 2-3 image files (different extensions) and upload it anywhere + provide a link (e.g. dropbox transfer)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Karn

Post by Karn »

Not at all. It could be made to only be available once thumbnail view has already been invoked. ("View > Thumbnails > Select invalid files"). Since there clearly already is a way to mark a file as having an invalid or no thumbnail, all the program has to do is select those files.

highend

Post by highend »

Again: How should XY know if a file is NOT corrupt if it didn't try to create a thumbnail for it before? Image formats are defined by magic numbers but that's only one part of the validation if the header structure is ok. That doesn't automatically mean that the image is 100% intact.

Nonetheless, you didn't provide the images I asked for so just wait > 6 months (or maybe years - XY is in a feature state freeze state atm) until "something" happens instead of (eventually) get something usable now...

Karn

Post by Karn »

I quote:

"It could be made to only be available once thumbnail view has already been invoked."

Meaning once the user invokes thumbnail view and the thumbnails have been processed, the user then has the option to select all files for which thumbnail generation failed. I'm aware that byte-sniffing magic numbers is no guarantee that the rest of the file isn't corrupt: that's why I wrote earlier that this command would only run after the user selects thumbnail view.

There's no need to upload sample files because I'm not asking for any additional image scanning than is already being done, so no corpus of invalid images is necessary to test against. And I'm not asking for a timeline, this is the "wishes" forum so I made a wish, not a demand. If enough people think this would be useful, maybe then Mr. Lessau could put it on the roadmap at some point.

highend

Post by highend »

It could already be done without generating thumbnails (by scripting it) but that's not what you want. No problem.

Karn

Post by Karn »

No, that's not what I want, thanks. I'm fully capable of whipping up a script to do that in Python or C or node.js or perhaps even XYscript the next time I need that functionality. Just so we're clear, I didn't suggest this feature solely because I need it, but because I imagine it would be a common use case for many people (I wonder how many photographers use XYplorer?), so would add value to the product.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good idea. :tup: I will add that to the next beta.

After selectthumbs(0);:
selectthumbs(0).png
selectthumbs(0).png (32.79 KiB) Viewed 792 times
After selectthumbs(1);:
selectthumbs(1).png
selectthumbs(1).png (32.38 KiB) Viewed 792 times