Separate process for things like CheckSubfoldersExistOnNetwork

Features wanted...
daniel_m

Separate process for things like CheckSubfoldersExistOnNetwork

Post by daniel_m »

I bought XYplorer for my office, where everything is stored on a network drive. I used "CheckSubfoldersExistOnNetwork=1" because I thought it would only affect the start up time of XYplorer. After a lot of trial and error, I found that the check for subfolders was what caused XYplorer to freeze every time I closed a Microsoft Office document. Apparently, Windows refreshes the file system (or something like that :lol: ) when an office document is closed. This makes XYplorer freeze because it is waiting for Windows to deliver information about the file system and the existence of subfolders.

With "CheckSubfoldersExistOnNetwork=0", XYplorer works very well and there are no network related hickups any longer.

Now I am wondering if XYplorer could spawn a separate process to gather information like the existence of subfolders, or when long file operations are being performed. This way, XYplorer would still be responsive and usable, even when the file tree is being updated. Sure, until the update is complete, the display of the existence of subfolders could be wrong. But this state would only last for a few seconds, and the user would still get a much more accurate picture of the file tree than with "CheckSubfoldersExistOnNetwork=0".

Marco

Re: Separate process for things like CheckSubfoldersExistOnNetwork

Post by Marco »

XY is undergoing a major rewrite, so there won't be a need for a separate process.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

daniel_m

Re: Separate process for things like CheckSubfoldersExistOnNetwork

Post by daniel_m »

Awesome! I'll patiently wait for the things to come :D