status bar

Features wanted...
suslo

status bar

Post by suslo »

these are my long-time thoughts about status bar
unfortunately we still have tiny possibilities when it comes to customizing this part of xy
at the moment i can only dream about things like these:

1) option to remove all icons forever (including the icon inside live filter box)

i already managed to hide the majority of icons by adding this line to 'customize file icons':
*.*;*;%computer%;c:\;d:\;e:\;f:\;g:\;h:\;[C-H]:\*\>C:\Icons\empty-blank.ico
yes, i got the unsightly small blank space at the beginning of the 3rd section (anyway it's better than seeing those icons)

but constantly i still have to see all other icons (that i don't need and that distract and upset me):
the icon in 'live filter box', the 'hidden'-related icon, these 4 icons: [icon=ready|progress|alert|stop]...
let me know if you're aware of the way to remove right now: this empty/blank space; all other icons that are still visible

2) option to remove/shift the separators between sections (then my personal choice would have been: remove them)

3) option (or something like 'status bar editor') to show/hide/customize any parts, for example the part that has this:
(6 074 bytes)
or this:
drive C: 654,84 GB used 1,36 TB free (68%)
or this:
(ellipsis that sometimes appears in the end)

though very often there is no need in this ellipsis. for example: several hours ago i found ~20 folders with very long names
and all the names were displayed completely in status bar; but status bar sometimes showed this ellipsis, sometimes not
in any case i got nothing useful from these 3 dots in the right edge of status bar (so i never want to see these dots)

(speaking about this whole chapter 3 of the current post. my personal choice would have also been: remove them)

here is a possible direction to start improving the situation with current status bar:
main menu > tools> add 'customize status bar' line > add several ticks like:
show separators, show ellipsis, show additional 'total size' (bytes), show 'drive' info, show icon (live filter box), show icons (1st section), show icons (2nd section), show icons (3rd section)
the 'show status bar buttons' option may be moved here

4) option that prevents the 2nd section from being displayed in a truncated way. i had this situation: the width of the 2nd section was simply not enough to show all the info (the yesterday's change will surely help but seemingly not always)

5) custom context menu. like we already have in the tree and in both panes
thanks to these 2 ini-tweaks: CEA_TreeRightClickOnWhite_Script=, CEA_ListRightClickOnWhite_Script=
something like CEA_StatusRightClick_Script= could be really logical and great

admin
Site Admin

Re: status bar

Post by admin »

Are you aware of the strangeness of these wishes? :ninja:

suslo

Post by suslo »

i'm aware of these facts:

1) you have the right not to implement what i ask for
2) i really miss the possiblity to customize the status bar. example: its context menu is literally dead/useless for me

3) (during long period of time) i wanted to let you know about some my thoughts concerning this part of xy
4) i will be glad if at least some my ideas eventually become reality, that's why i let myself to say something about status bar

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did not mean to be offensive but when you say that you "dream about removing all icons forever" you should also say why IMO.

suslo

Post by suslo »

i'll try to say why:
not a single icon inside xy's status bar gives me something valuable, useful and helpful. they bring me no essential info at all
i always know immediately (without any kinds of icons) that some action happened (or some items are hidden):

1) when something's done by xy, i don't need to see a small green round icon and a tick inside of it (kind of saying: 'it is alright, job done'). because i know that job is done thanks to a corresponding inscription right beside this icon (example: 'splitter width set to 3 pixels')

2) when something's wrong (for example, a script was terminated by user), i also don't need to see that alerting red icon (there's the textual info containing these exact words: script terminated by user)
3) when something is hidden, i always see an info like this: 8/19 items (which is enough for me to understand the situation in the current folder)

instead: any icon appears to be a sad distracting aspect that i would like to turn off (and save slightly more important horizontal space) but i can't because there are no such options in the program

this is the reason why i was searching for some solutions. and i found a partial way out (the empty blank icon that is mentioned in the 1st post), which is not that ideal at all
but as you can see in my screenshot, i don't have any icons in the toolbar, i don't even have any icons inside both panes (believe me or not but folders and files can live without those icons)

and it is not logical and not convenient for me: not to see the icons inside panes, and at the same time: to see these icons inside the status bar
some day you gave us a great option: main menu > customize list > show icons (on/off). i'm trying to explain that status bar deserves the same treatment

speaking about a textual stuff inside the status bar: i don't really see any strangeness in the fact that a person doesn't want to have an information (size in bytes) (how many GB are used) (what is the percentage of free space in a current drive) in front of the eyes constantly
especially if this info is never needed by this exact person (but instead it always requires valuable horizontal space)

speaking about the custom context menu. is this small idea (CEA_StatusRightClick_Script=) so wrong?
especially for users like me (those who switched off the tree, and not going to turn it on again)
i'm mentioning the tree because not having it means the loss of the whole separate custom context menu (CEA_TreeRightClickOnWhite_Script=)
and possible new CEA_StatusRightClick_Script= option could become an equal and nice compensation

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, but your posts are too long. :|

suslo

Post by suslo »

that's because i love xy and i always have something to say about it

including its advantages/disadvantages/things to do (if i could)/things to change (if i had the chance)

update:
i don't use the dark mode but i just found out that there are no visible 'status bar'-separators inside this mode
which is practically nothing for me but in theory it is good, of course

vasya

Post by vasya »

suslo wrote: 28 Jan 2020 11:46 1)option to remove all icons forever
admin wrote: 28 Jan 2020 15:04 I did not mean to be offensive but when you say that you "dream about removing all icons forever" you should also say why IMO.
I think that it's like a Norton Commander.
I personally don’t use it because there is no design.
But I also understand that so many people using it exactly because no design

suslo wrote: 28 Jan 2020 11:46 main menu > tools> add 'customize status bar' line > add several ticks like:
show separators, show ellipsis, show additional 'total size' (bytes), show 'drive' info, show icon (live filter box), show icons (1st section), show icons (2nd section), show icons (3rd section)
Good idea (if status bar is not configurable else)
It's like in the AIMP or WinAmp
In the AIMP (music player) you can configure Template for lines in the playlist like this:
%Artist - %Mood, %Mark %Title
%FileFormat :: %SampleRate, %BitRate, %FileSize
And this is a great option with many options, with many tags. This is very useful.
This is why people love AIMP

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I don't want to get crazy about status bar configuration ATM.

But an interface completely without icons, there is something Zenny about this that I like. It would be almost unusable but look slick and work fast. The Bauhaus interface. :)