autocomplete for renaming

Features wanted...
ith

autocomplete for renaming

Post by ith »

I would like to propose autocomplete for renaming files.

For my administration I need quite long filenames with often recurring, long words. It would speed up file renaming really a lot, if after 2 or 3 letters the word(s) would be recognized and automatically proposed / inserted (while renaming is still active). Any simple smartphone keyboard does a good job in this today, so why not have XYplorer help us with this?

Thanks for caring!

ith

Re: autocomplete for renaming

Post by ith »

Another help could be that if I move my file into a folder, that folder name is automatically added to the filename at the beginning or end (this should be optional, of course), could be even the names of the parent and parent-parent folder (n generations). There are quite some scanner software packages that do this kind of stuff for quicker file-naming, but I do not see any reason, why XYplorer could not do this for me, too.

Also adding the names of added tags (optional) to the filename could make a lot of sense, for example if I assign a tag "important" or "urgent" to a file and want to send it to other people via email it could make a lot of sense to add these tag names to the filename, too. One could think of an additional column in the tag list for those tags whose names should be added to the filename. The extra column could contain the same word as the tag or any kind of abbreviation to keep file names shorter.

Also for example if I send out a file via email or print it (for administration files) I do assign a tag "email out" of "printed" to it. Also for this purpose having "email_out" or "e-o" and "printed" or "pr" in the filename could help colleagues or people in the organization that do not use XYplorer, but know these conventions.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Autocomplete for renaming files... that sounds like a cool idea. It would work with a custom dictionary that you fill up yourself (not like smartphones who seem to know about every word in a language).

Adding tags... that's a rather specific task IMO and should be solved using a small script. The Catalog is a good place to store a set of "Add blahblah to name" mini scripts. Or it could as well be added to the Portable File Associations. For example, this Portable File Associations would append "_email_out" to all selected item names:

Code: Select all

|"Append _email_out" \;*>::rename b, '*_email_out'

ith

Post by ith »

admin wrote: 11 Nov 2019 09:09 Autocomplete for renaming files... that sounds like a cool idea. It would work with a custom dictionary that you fill up yourself (not like smartphones who seem to know about every word in a language).

Adding tags... that's a rather specific task IMO and should be solved using a small script. The Catalog is a good place to store a set of "Add blahblah to name" mini scripts. Or it could as well be added to the Portable File Associations. For example, this Portable File Associations would append "_email_out" to all selected item names:

Code: Select all

|"Append _email_out" \;*>::rename b, '*_email_out'
Ok, thanks. I will be happy to see autocomplete for filenames!