Custom column trigger: "On Demand" (for entire list not just selected/visible items)

Features wanted...
Stilez

Custom column trigger: "On Demand" (for entire list not just selected/visible items)

Post by Stilez »

PROBLEM:

I'm using custom columns a lot - media information, hashes, etc.

It's a hassle adding and removing columns each time, when I need this info for the present list. So I'd like to leave the columns statically in the list (instead of multiple column sets), but only have the data-intense columns filled when I need them, on demand.

Unfortunately the custom columns "trigger" options don't include a suitable trigger for when that data is needed. The triggers are either "all-rows, automatic" or "limited rows, on demand". There isn't a trigger to do "all rows, on demand".

EXAMPLE SCENARIO:

Imagine this typical kind of scenario: I often need to SHA512 all files in a folder, or in a pane of search results. Not always, but often. SHA is computationally intense, so I definitely don't want the column on the default of "browse", because that'll slow *everything* all the time (quickly find and copy some photos from a folder containing 300GB in 40000 files? Oops!) Let's make it triggered instead. Hmm. No trigger really does it. "List" won't calculate them all, and I definitely don't want to click or select individually using "click". What I want is a place I can click once to say "now calculate this column for all list items".

Another example of this issue is would be a static column containing templates calculated from exif, for large folders of media. I don't always want to see it, but I often do - and when I do, I want it for the entire list, or all selected items, however many it may be.

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST:

An on-demand trigger option, a bit like "click", that recalculates the column for all items in the list, visible or not. (If there is a selection, an option for "selected items only" on the right click, again visible or not).

Possibly represented by a "click" icon overlay on the column header, to make clear its a click to calculate the entire column for all/selected items, not a click for specific files.

Sounds a really quick one to do. Any chance :)