Less lagging of Media Device(MTP) connection

Features wanted...
huhiha

Less lagging of Media Device(MTP) connection

Post by huhiha »

When I have a cell phone connected to PC via Media Device(MTP) connection, and I'm viewing the DCIM folder which contains a lot of photos, the tab gets laggy. Whenever I'm just switching the tabs through it using the mouse wheel, it costs me 5 seconds, which is very annoying because I didn't want to fully load that tab, and I was just looking through all my tabs.

I have 2 possible solutions.
1. If possible, make the file reading process interruptable, or make another background thread to load the folder, and don't reload the folder each time it is selected.
2. Provide an option to manually disable and reenable the refreshing of a tab.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Less lagging of Media Device(MTP) connection

Post by admin »

There are two keyboard-only commands that can do the job:

Miscellaneous / Tab Functions / Cycle Tabs Backward, Delay Browsing (Ctrl+PageUp)
Miscellaneous / Tab Functions / Cycle Tabs Forward, Delay Browsing (Ctrl+PageDown)

Browsing will start only when you release the CTRL key.

huhiha

Post by huhiha »

Thanks for the reply.
Having worked with Media Device(MTP) connection these days, I have to say this functionality is very faulty.
But not just XYplorer, also the windows explorer.
For example, copying 1GB photos to a 2GB-free-space volume, will fail half way because of "not enough space".
I have to copy the files again and again, until they're all copied.
That's quite unbearable.

So I wanted to use XYplorer, hoping it will copy the files correctly.
But it has another problem. Just after I pressed Ctrl+C, XYplorer gets frozen.
It says, "pre-processing item".
I did a test, and it took 52sec just to copy 100 photos:"100 items copied to clipboard".
This is worse than the windows explorer!

Just for the record, there's another bug about Media Device(MTP) connection.
After I disconnects the cell phone, the path of the tab changed into something wrong.
The path changes from "MyPhoneName\SD Card\DCIM" into "D:\Software\XYPlorer\MyPhoneName\SD Card\DCIM".

As for the Cycle Tabs Backward/Forward commands, I do know that.
Actually I want to suggest changing that feature into "bowsing will start when releasing PageUp/PageDown key".
Because, I need a quick way to see through the content of each tab.
But maybe we should talk about that in another post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, the whole MTP is a PITA. It's not XYplorer's fault. And ATM I don't see anywhere it could be improved.

Tip 1: Copying directly (via Copy To, not via clipboard) should be a little faster.
Tip 2: Personally when I need to copy photos I always connect my phone memory card as a drive (with a letter) and all is fast and easy.