live filter - focus on first item automatically

Features wanted...
randfee

live filter - focus on first item automatically

Post by randfee »

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way for when using live filter (redirected by type ahead) to automatically move the focus to the first item or so. Right now one types away, sees the filtered results (often only one item) and one still has to hit 'arrow-down' to get to the item in order to do something (enter to open, f2 to rename ... copying, whatever).
I would really appreciate an option or standard behavior that while typing it actually moves focus to the first item .... just like type-ahead does, but with the live filter as a redirect!

If there is already a way do change options so that this happens automatically, I'd love to know.

thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: live filter - focus on first item automatically

Post by admin »

Selecting the item would also trigger the preview of it if any of the preview panels are open. A sound might start playing just as an effect of filtering the list. I don't think that's expected.

randfee

Post by randfee »

I don't quite understand the response.
I can see that some might not prefer the behavior I describe but I also see many pros.
Whether somebody has one of the preview capabilities activated doesn't make a difference IMHO. What you say also applies when using type-ahead - why would the same behavior of focusing/selecting the item be favorable with type ahead but not with live filter? In my view, the filtering instead of highlighting is just a different visual response - especially useful for better overview when many items are displayed.

I think the navigation speed would be enhanced significantly if the option to auto-select in live-filter would exist.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, you are absolutely right. I guess I'll add it.

randfee

Post by randfee »

The feature 'auto-select-first-match' for live-filters was added in 20.50 and works as expected!
Thanks for the great support, good thing I found XYplorer, I recommend it to everybody :appl:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yeah, do that! :D :beer: