Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Features wanted...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Maybe we can put a few wishes related to scripting here instead of unique ones for each? So here's my first one:

Given the nature of how concatentated scripting works, I can see the need for a simple easily set option that would help prevent accidents:

A primitive "debug" mode that would (maybe), between each ID execution, pop-up a dialog box that gives "OK or cancel" options so one could step thru the commands and bail out if something is amiss.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Minor scripting related wishes (a generic thread)

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:A primitive "debug" mode that would (maybe), between each ID execution, pop-up a dialog box that gives "OK or cancel" options so one could step thru the commands and bail out if something is amiss.
Yes, good idea.

My idea to implement it:
::step::...::...::... etc.
So, step would be the first real keyword in XY scripting. Nice.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Yes, good idea.

My idea to implement it:
:D Thanks! It's the programmer in me that wants a debugger!
And it may help you also in development efforts...now don't want it to get out of hand, as I like your proposed implement method (simple but effcetive), but was just thinking that on that pop-up, if the next ID to be executed could be displayed (and with verbal desc?) as part of msg so one knows what "danger" lurks just ahead?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:Yes, good idea.

My idea to implement it:
:D Thanks! It's the programmer in me that wants a debugger!
And it may help you also in development efforts...now don't want it to get out of hand, as I like your proposed implement method (simple but effcetive), but was just thinking that on that pop-up, if the next ID to be executed could be displayed (and with verbal desc?) as part of msg so one knows what "danger" lurks just ahead?
Yep, that's exactly what I had planned.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

A decent way I've found for testing a script is to build it in the catalog.

For your new script create a new Category in the catalog.
Within that category you can create a new go to item for each command or group of commands in the script.

You can then drag and drop to change the order of events and you can step through the script by clicking through the category.

If you include the command numbers in the captions it's relatively easy to combine them into your single script as well.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:A decent way I've found for testing a script is to build it in the catalog...
Good idea! :)

Linkaday
Location: Hamburg, Germany - Win 10 Home v22H2 x64 1920x1080 (100%)

Post by Linkaday »

Just six days on the road - and scripting is there!
And scripting the easy way - at least from a user's point of view!
SUUUPER!
That deserves giving at least one lifetime to someone who isn't even aware of XYplorer being out there. Just attempting to make his day. (I'll go to later from home). :)

Wishes section, man - what's your point?!

If it wouldn't be too much code for such a small convenience:
clipboarding my IDs from UDC managing dialog is a breeze - i would like to have it in CKS dialog, too (i think, that's the place, where our script ideas take shape most of the time).

First thought was: a button "ID to clipboard" left of "Command #xxxx". Too many chars! "Clip ID" or "Copy ID" might be misleading ...

Second was: Options menu (although most commands there are global in the the sense of dialog wide, there already is selection dependant "Close ... trigger command")

Third was: holding Shift clicking on "Command #xxxx" (but what should the keyboarders do?)

- What about a CKS Miscellaneous | Scripting | "ID to clipboard"?

I dream of concatenating - EditPadPro and (a few clipboard manipulating progs) has the wonderful "Copy append" (something to bear in mind for advanced caching / stacks) - useful in "Copy to clipboard base item" (thank you Jacky for insisting and Don for making it real) and elsewhere.
And file merging is in the air - i can smell it (the old DOS "copy A+B to C").

Quoi pleurer - XYplorer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Linkaday wrote:Just six days on the road - and scripting is there!
And scripting the easy way - at least from a user's point of view!
SUUUPER!
Yeah, and finally some wishes concerning scripting. I was already wondering why the topic calmed down so quickly... :)

Your wish (copy ID, copy-append ID) makes obviously a lot of sense -- I will meditate about the best solution. Thanks for your ideas!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Ok, so I've been busy with some other non-XY tasks (new laptop setup), so haven't spent much time thinking about scripting or trying it out...but after reading Linkaday's post, and doing some looking, my main question now is:

Why aren't the command ID nbrs listed as a third column in the list, right after the shortcut? Why should I have to select that particular entry if all I want to do is find the ID nbr? Or am I missing something obvious here (which may be true)? This would also allow it to be included on the Cheat Sheat when copied to Clipboard, right? So thus one could have a printed list of all of these CID's, ok?

By the way, just because a button might only have "Copy ID", the hover tooltip could have a more complete description thus saving space.

Linkaday

Post by Linkaday »

Cool, JC! I just thought bloatavoidingwise :D !

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Linkaday wrote:Cool, JC! I just thought bloatavoidingwise :D !
I finally went for your 2nd idea: into the Options menu!

Linkaday

Post by Linkaday »

6.80.0029 - WOW! (Can't be loud enough)! I can hardly believe what i see!

In reply to 6.80.0028 and your last posting here i wrote:

Code: Select all

Thanks, Don - to include ID in cheat sheet and limit that to session is one of your solutions i like so much because of your prudence. I'm aware of risky business involved.

How about this one - somewhere further down the road:

[image - i fantasized on visualizing another solution]

It would not be that obvious but the hardcorers would know they could Ctrl+C their desired ID. In conformity to UDC manage dialog - and "Scope:" would in no case need that much space it takes now to have the interface in visual balance.

Insisting here is not out of conveniences nitpicking. I'm JC's age. Not that i can't hold a pencil anymore or remember TANs and PINs, but a few hours work in an unsufficient working environment (as libraries still are despite all ergonomy lip services) and my eyes start to play me dirty little tricks with numbers.
Forget about! Wording the english took me longer than your cold fogged brain took to make it all real!

I will spread the word! Quoi pleurer - XYplorer!

graham

Post by graham »

on a similar thread

I have not really had time to get to grips with the scripting but would like to later

may I suggest a separate TOTD in this regard. It would only be seen in the help menu if scripting is turned on and the tips therein are specific to scripting.

I think this would help - especially if examples of common use are shown as well

Still concerned about scripting doing unexpected things (need something like the re-name facility to give confidence that the user has got it right)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'm also starting to realize that there needs to be a way within XY to display (and print) a cheat-sheat/listing of any unique scripting commands, such as "step"...not sure where/how would be best so as not to clutter up unrelated functions...because I don't think we should have to rely on external wiki or personal notes or even my XY blog for history.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I agree with the last posts. I'll wait a little until the dust settles and then it's time for doing some serious inhouse documentation.