Full-row select with right-click

Features wanted...
milllirem

Full-row select with right-click

Post by milllirem »

Hi,
Currently full-row select seems to only work with left-click. Windows File Explorer, and I believe other file managers, allow full-row select via right-click also, so this is constantly stymieing me as I move between different file managers.

Thanks,
Jim Miller

jupe

Re: Full-row select with right-click

Post by jupe »

How would you access the white-space context menu, when the list is full of files/columns?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

milllirem wrote: 26 Jul 2019 16:18 Currently full-row select seems to only work with left-click.
It works for me in both the tree and the list. Of those two, does it not work in one or both?

jupe

Post by jupe »

@nas8e9: In the list it works for me only when I right click the filename, so I assume he means right click anywhere in the row, does that work for you?

milllirem

Post by milllirem »

nas8e9 wrote: 26 Jul 2019 16:53
milllirem wrote: 26 Jul 2019 16:18 Currently full-row select seems to only work with left-click.
It works for me in both the tree and the list. Of those two, does it not work in one or both?
In the tree I can right-click anywhere on or to the right of a directory name and it will be selected. In the list, I must right-click directly on the file name or the icon (in Details view) for the row to be selected.

I will send whatever info about my install requested.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

jupe wrote: 26 Jul 2019 16:56 @nas8e9: It works for me only when you right click the filename, I assume he means right click anywhere in the row, does that work for you?
You're right, sorry: it doesn't work in the list.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

milllirem wrote: 26 Jul 2019 17:00 In the tree I can right-click anywhere on or to the right of a directory name and it will be selected. In the list, I must right-click directly on the file name or the icon (in Details view) for the row to be selected.
As jupe already stated, this is probably by design to allow access to the white space right-click options. With a large monitor I can see advantages to a change. FWIW, Windows Explorer allows a right-click anywhere in the used row space to select the file, but shows its white space context menu when in white space to the right of the row, which seems an improvement?

milllirem

Post by milllirem »

nas8e9 wrote: 26 Jul 2019 17:13 FWIW, Windows Explorer allows a right-click anywhere in the used row space to select the file, but shows its white space context menu when in white space to the right of the row, which seems an improvement?
I agree, that would be a good solution.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yes I always assumed that you'd be able to right click on the far right whitespace (or very bottom of list) when I asked the initial question that's why I said "full of columns", why I was asking to see what the OP thought was because currently in a non-maximized window you have no whitespace there so padding would have to be added as far as I can tell in the following situations because, not everyone uses XY maximized, not everyone has a large screen, some users have heaps of columns visible an would need to scroll to the far right to access the context menu (and realize that beforehand), some users that have always used full row select might not expect that, but maybe this could be a child option (under FRS) if it was implemented, not just suddenly change FRS for everyone.

Anyway I will never use full-row select myself, so have no vested interest, I was just thinking about other users who do, that may find issues if it suddenly changed, and as far as I can tell the need for white-space to be added under certain conditions, so this wouldn't be a simple "support right click for the full row" it seems it would involve other changes, and thought that they were worth discussing.

PS: You probably realize this already, but currently If you right click + hold and tiny drag (sideways probz best) then release the mouse, it will work, you'd just need to get in the habit of doing it.

milllirem

Post by milllirem »

Child option would be great. Thanks, I didn't know about tiny drag.

Marco

Post by Marco »

Code: Select all

v19.00.0008 - 2018-06-09 13:45
    * List | Full Row Select mode: From now on, when you right-click an 
      unselected row anywhere but in the very caption it does not select that 
      item anymore but behaves like right-clicking the white space (pops the 
      white space context menu without changing any selections).
      This is pretty much like File Explorer behaves as well. Before, it could 
      have been hard to pop the white space context menu when in Full Row Select 
      mode because of lack of white space.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

milllirem

Post by milllirem »

Good find, thanks, although the changelog is wrong about File Explorer functionality here...easily tested on a recent version of Windows 10. I think this should be optional functionality though. Some people do like to use full windows and therefore have more room to access the whitespace, and as I noted earlier, inconsistency with File Explorer can be jarring. Selecting line items is a very common operation.

Marco

Post by Marco »

milllirem wrote: 27 Jul 2019 21:23 Good find, thanks, although the changelog is wrong about File Explorer functionality here...easily tested on a recent version of Windows 10. I think this should be optional functionality though. Some people do like to use full windows and therefore have more room to access the whitespace, and as I noted earlier, inconsistency with File Explorer can be jarring. Selecting line items is a very common operation.
I'm with you in that I don't like this behaviour too.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Leito

Post by Leito »

milllirem wrote: 27 Jul 2019 21:23 the changelog is wrong about File Explorer functionality here...easily tested on a recent version of Windows 10.
Just tested on Windows 10 1903 File Explorer with Details view and the changelog is right: clicking on an unselected row next to the item name does not select the row, but instead pops the white space context menu. It even unselects any previous selection (which XYplorer does not).

autocart

Post by autocart »

milllirem and everyone else,

are you ok meanwhile with the current XY behaviour regarding this topic?
Otherwise, if you would be ok with an external AutoHotKey script working with XY, I think I could help.
I just had a similar need/wish wich I could solve successfully with AHK.

If help is still wanted, let me know.
Regards, S.