Paste from Clipboard

Features wanted...
TestMeister

Paste from Clipboard

Post by TestMeister »

(Apologies if this has been mentioned)

After copying multiple items then selecting "Edit Clipboard", would it be possible to select one of the copied files/strings, right-click (or button) and paste it where it would be placed at current cursor?

This would be a big help when reorganizing files and folders as you could navigate folders and redistribute files as needed.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Paste from Clipboard

Post by admin »

Sounds interesting but I don't totally understand. Can you explain again?

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

Hi Don, here are some shots that show the sequence of copying multiple files and then pasting them to different folders. Hope this makes sense and please let me know if any questions..
User selects multiple files and cuts/copies
User selects multiple files and cuts/copies
ScreenHunter 1034.png (27.35 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
User moves to first target folder then selects an option to "Select & Paste from Clipboard" and a dialogue like "Edit Clipboard" displays. User selects one or more files to paste.
User moves to first target folder then selects an option to "Select & Paste from Clipboard" and a dialogue like "Edit Clipboard" displays. User selects one or more files to paste.
ScreenHunter 1035.png (27.08 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Attachments
User moves to second target folder and selects one or more files to paste. If possible, it would help to keep the "...paste from Clipboard" dialogue non-modal so it remains as user navigates target folders.
User moves to second target folder and selects one or more files to paste. If possible, it would help to keep the "...paste from Clipboard" dialogue non-modal so it remains as user navigates target folders.
ScreenHunter 1036.png (25.05 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I think I understand. But the clipboard is a fragile thing. There is only one for the whole system. I think the same functionality could be better handled without using the clipboard, either via scripting or as new GUI feature. I'm not saying I'm convinced yet, just playing with ideas...

Or are you thinking of inter-app operations? (Another app copies to clipboard, and XYplorer then does your "Select & Paste from Clipboard" thing.)

highend

Post by highend »

The whole thing can be scripted already...

E.g.:

Code: Select all

if (!regexmatches(<clp>, "(:\\|\\\\)")) { status "No item(s) found in clipboard, aborted!", "8B4513", "stop"; end true; }
    $items = inputselect("Item(s) to insert", <clp>, <crlf>, 1+2+32, , 800, 600);
    if (!$items) { status "No item(s) to insert selected, aborted!", "8B4513", "stop"; end true; }
    copyto , replace($items, <crlf>, "|"), , 2, 0, 4;
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

No, was just thinking of its use within XY, as an additional file management feature to help with the disk housekeeping.

With enormous capacity disk drives so cheap these days and with my constantly expanding digital libraries (image, video and especially music) I have multiple local drives. XY has been invaluable in allowing me to keep track and organize everything.

What happens frequently is the folder structures I decided on some years ago no longer work. In some cases, for a given folder, the individual files need to be distributed to other different folders.They might all be selected from the same folder or perhaps different folders. It would be handy to treat the buffer like a temporary container where you could paste them individually to different target locations. I didn't mention but this could also apply to repositioning folders.

Using Dual Pane and drag-dropping from a source folder would be an option but only if all the source files are all from the same folder, and you are moving (not copying).

Hope this all makes sense :?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What about the Branch View. Isn't that a good interface to re-organize a structure?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Or a paperfolder intermediate.

https://www.xyplorer.com/release_14.30.php#PF

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

My understanding of Branch View is that from the selected root, it provides a virtual view of flattened contents. This can be very helpful but I don't believe it would help me physically reposition files. I haven't worked with Paperfolders but it seems to represent a folder with shortcuts to actual files, sort of like Windows Explorer Quick Access but with more features. Similar to this, I use the Catalog feature where it represents projects that contain pointers to the related documents. This is an awesome feature that helps me control complex projects.

I expect Don has a huge list of change requests so we can let this slide and I can just use Dual Pane which will work in most cases.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and Don, thanks for making life a little easier for me each day :appl:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My idea was to drag the files around to new positions within the Branch View. You know, you can drop items into the folders listed in the Branch View and thus change their locations.