Suggestions for FAQ re malware

Features wanted...
Cynthia Moore

Suggestions for FAQ re malware

Post by Cynthia Moore »

As a new user, I was reading the FAQ and came across the suggestion about Windows Defender (MSE) causing performance degradation. I spent 15-20 minutes checking unsuccessfully for that software. I then spent more time posting a question here only to be told that it does not apply to Win XP, which I was using at the time.

My suggestions are:

1. Mention which OS versions any comments refer to.

2. Provide a scan facility that can check my installation for problematic/conflicting software and then explain what I need to do to correct for it.

Anything you can do to make getting up to speed easier will pay dividends in the number of non-techie users that will buy the product. That is, assuming you actually want non-techie users, which is not clear to me from comments made by some.
Using Win 10 on a Surface Book, the worst computer I have ever owned

nas8e9

Re: Suggestions for FAQ re malware

Post by nas8e9 »

Cynthia Moore wrote: 22 Jul 2019 15:54 My suggestions are:

1. Mention which OS versions any comments refer to.
I'm guessing that the current instructions mainly cover Windows 7 and later. Going by what's currently supported with security patches by Microsoft, I don't think that an unreasonable assumption given that XYplorer is sold and supported through the internet. Having said that, XYplorer officially supports Windows XP and later.
2. Provide a scan facility that can check my installation for problematic/conflicting software and then explain what I need to do to correct for it.

Anything you can do to make getting up to speed easier will pay dividends in the number of non-techie users that will buy the product. That is, assuming you actually want non-techie users, which is not clear to me from comments made by some.
AFAIK it's only security software that can cause slowdowns, with Microsoft's being particularly bad. I can see how non-techie users may have a problem with tackling their security software's exclusion list. OTOH, they're likeliest to use the built-in Windows security solution, which is already covered by the FAQ.

tedy

Re: Suggestions for FAQ re malware

Post by tedy »

With so many features and functions it's very likely to expect the user would have to be techie to take advantage of everything it offers :) . Otherwise Explorer is Ok.
Joking aside, I guess antivirus and security software is probably the only that can make xy and any other software suffer.
I don't use any anti-malware/virus etc. sh**, only the built-in firewall, and never had troubles with software (apart from their bugs of course).