custom move/copy progress dialog always on top?

Features wanted...
autocart

custom move/copy progress dialog always on top?

Post by autocart »

Hi Don,

would it be possible to make the custom move/copy progress dialog to be always on top?
Or else, at least to be a main window which I can switch to with Alt-Tab, please.

Regards, S.

nas8e9

Re: custom move/copy progress dialog always on top?

Post by nas8e9 »

autocart wrote: 26 Jun 2019 02:10 Or else, at least to be a main window which I can switch to with Alt-Tab, please.
Do you have Configuration > File Operations > Custom Copy Operations > Configure... > Show progress dialog, enabled? On my PC this yields a distinct window with its own icon on the Windows taskbar, provided the file operation is indeed backgrounded to XYcopy.exe?

autocart

Post by autocart »

thx for replying,

I have "Show progress dialog" enabled as well as "Keep progress dialog open".
But upon testing again, I notice that the progress dialog is totally its own window on the task bar like you write after I copy, but it is a strange child window behind the XY task bar icon after I cut and paste. I now saw that in this case it does show in the standard Alt-Tab interface, but I am using Vista-Switcher for Alt-Tabbing where the copy dialog shows fine, but the cut dialog does not show.

So, Don, is there a reason for the different dialog styles? If not, would it be too much to ask to make both dialogs have the same style, namely the one of the copy dialog. Please, thanks.

If there was an option to have them stay on top, it would be nice but this is not as important.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

autocart wrote: 27 Jun 2019 22:54 I have "Show progress dialog" enabled as well as "Keep progress dialog open".
But upon testing again, I notice that the progress dialog is totally its own window on the task bar like you write after I copy, but it is a strange child window behind the XY task bar icon after I cut and paste. I now saw that in this case it does show in the standard Alt-Tab interface, but I am using Vista-Switcher for Alt-Tabbing where the copy dialog shows fine, but the cut dialog does not show.
Cut and paste constitutes a Move operation. Just to be sure: do you have Custom Copy Operations, enabled for Move, and do you have No progress dialog on intra-volume moves, disabled?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This cannot be. Of course, this is the same window, just the text differs a bit. A misunderstanding? Do you have a screenshot?

autocart

Post by autocart »

customMoveDialog.jpg
customMoveDialog.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
customCopyDialog.jpg
customCopyDialog.jpg (48.83 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
customCopySettings.JPG
customCopySettings.JPG (154.04 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, as you see by the Window icons and captions, one is a foreground job and one is a background job. Hence the difference.

So, you want the background job always on top? Isn't that a contradiction?

autocart

Post by autocart »

Thanks for clearifying that up. I never payed much attention to the differences of that.

It does make sense for a background job to *not* be in the foreground - that is true.

However, as of now, the foreground jobs' dialogs also don't stay on top. If these would, that would be great IMHO, as these also are the ones which are often behind the task bar icon of XY and are not shown in Vista Switcher (the Alt-Tab replacement).

EDIT: On the other hand, I can also do that whith AutoHotkey, so no big deal for me. It is just a thought.

Regards, S.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you untick this they should stay on top:
Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Miscellaneous | File operation progress dialog modeless