Custom File Icon for executables without embeded icon

Features wanted...
TinyDot

Custom File Icon for executables without embeded icon

Post by TinyDot »

I really love the Custom File Icons feature. It allows for much more visual navigation.

I would love to be able to set a "fallback" custom icon for .exe files though. As it is now if I set custom icons for .exe files, it overwrites all executables, while what I would like is to only show the custom icon for executables that don't have an embeded icon and that because of that show the system default icon.

Is that at all possible?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom File Icon for executables without embeded icon

Post by admin »

It will be possible in the next beta version:

Code: Select all

+ Custom File Icons: Now you can define custom icons that are used only if 
      there is no embedded specific icon.
      Simply use the switch /d (think "default"), for example:
        *.exe /d>NiceGenericExe.ico //only for EXEs without embedded specific icon

aminomancer

Re: Custom File Icon for executables without embeded icon

Post by aminomancer »

admin wrote: 14 Jun 2019 14:39 It will be possible in the next beta version:

+ Custom File Icons: Now you can define custom icons that are used only if 
      there is no embedded specific icon.
      Simply use the switch /d (think "default"), for example:
        *.exe /d>NiceGenericExe.ico //only for EXEs without embedded specific icon
If you're defining a rule for multiple filetypes, do you just use the switch once at the end?
Like instead say I want:

*.exe;*.bat;*.cmd;*.msi /d>NiceGenericExe.ico
That seems to work but I can't tell if there's some situation I haven't thought to test. When I apply the switch individually to only some items in the list, or apply it to all of them, it seems to break the rule. Only the filetypes defined before the first one with the switch /d end up working at all. So if I said

"*.exe;*.bat;*.cmd /d;*.msi /d>NiceGenericExe.ico"
then the icon will only be applied to exe and bat files, and cmd and msi just don't show up. So I'm assuming that's intended and it's the usual syntax. So in order to use the same icon for multiple filetypes, if you want /d for all of them or none of them, 1 rule will suffice. But if you want to only override the embedded icon for some of the filetypes, you just have to define more than 1 rule?