Folder jumping and Z script

Features wanted...
davor

Folder jumping and Z script

Post by davor »

The best thing for jumping around (that I know of) is a https://github.com/rupa/z in terminal.

Say I've recently visited these directories:
User/git/HardProject/Code/Feature
User/Projects/HardProject/Documentation/HardFeature
User/Projects/EasyProject/Something
User/Projects/EasyProject/Documentation/HardFeature

I can easily jump to these folders via:
z Code
z HardF
z Easy Feature --> Takes me to User/Projects/EasyProject/Documentation/HardFeature, not User/Projects/EasyProject/Something
The script maintains a list of likely folders to jump based on the folders I've visited.

In XYplorer, "Go To" (Ctrl+G) does something similar, but not quite. I does not support multiple expressions like "Easy Feature" and it seems that some folders I've visited recently aren't listed.
Note: Hotlist might also be considered similar, but there, I have to press down key instead of typing for the best match.

Questions:
1) How does Go To work?
2) Is there an option to have a mix of "Go To" and Z script functionality in XYplorer?
3) Are there any other, better ways of jumping to work folders? How do experienced XYplorer users do it?

bdeshi

Re: Folder jumping and Z script

Post by bdeshi »

This is a very cool idea. I regularly use z in my shell.

Something similar can be written as an interesting script project, but scripted solutions are going to be severely limited, as neither the hotlist nor the history can be read by scripts at the moment (afair); and furthermore, recentlocations, the only mru list accessible by scripts, is limited to 64 entries only.
davor wrote: 12 Jun 2019 13:47 1) How does Go To work?
goto accepts anything accepted by the addressbar. there's no magic.
davor wrote: 12 Jun 2019 13:47 3) Are there any other, better ways of jumping to work folders? How do experienced XYplorer users do it?
I can't speak for other long-time users, but I myself find the hotlist and minitree very helpful for rapid navigation among recent folders. In addition, frequent locations/work folders are pinned to the catalog+favorite folders, and/or aliased to shortcodes (eg @res takes me to %Documents%Resources). When it comes to history or folder hierarchy, quick alt+left/right/up/down and breadcrumb feels fast enough * . Plus, don't forget tabs! I have [locked] tabs to important folders so they are always at hand, and iconization makes them take up very little screen space.
Moreover I'm using FluxTorpedoe's excellent Session Manager script, which makes it a breeze to switch between my most efficient preset profiles for different work projects.
My workflow is usually limited to a very well-defined set of oft-juxtaposed folders, so that affects navigation efficiency as well.

So I guess, after using XYplorer for a while, everyone ends up with an efficient blend of all the different navigation features that's suited to their own use case.

*: that said, I'm sure z-like browsing will make navigation much much faster, and would love to this as a native feature :tup: . Moved to Wishes.
[edited]
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

"z Easy Feature" is the only pattern that does not currently work in XYplorer, the others (without the leading z, of course) work in the Address Bar and Go To, BUT only for locations that have been enterered through Address Bar or Go To.

Then is also a list "Go | Recent Locations..." with a live filter for all recent locations (no matter how they have been entered).

All in all, as Sammay already said, there are abundant navigation methods in XY. I currently don't plan to add yet another one.

Welcome to the club anyway!
Don

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

I've written a proof-of-concept script here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20590&p=170466#p170466

Don, could you let scripts see the history and the hotlist?
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

History can be tab bound (Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | History | History per tab) which makes it a bit complicated. But Recent Locations would be possible I think.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

eh, recent locations is already available, you meant hotlist? :bug:
admin wrote: 18 Jun 2019 13:18 History can be tab bound
Yeah, and who disables that.
How do you feel about something like this: tab('get', 'history', $tabindex);
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:biggrin: Okay, I'll see if that's possible...

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Thanks, works fine! :tup:
[ this user is asleep ]