Colored Tab

Features wanted...
klownboy
Posts: 2738
Joined: 28 Feb 2012 19:27

Re: colored tab, or at least a separator

Post by klownboy » 14 May 2019 19:08

When I select "Text color..." or "Background color..." from the tab right click menu everything works great, but when I choice "Select color..." from the tab "Rename Tab" menu item something is amiss. After color picking, the hexadecimal format (RRGGBB) is what shows up in the tab rename box. I'm not sure if that "Select color..." in the "Rename tab" was just added along with the other right click menu items.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47464
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: colored tab, or at least a separator

Post by admin » 14 May 2019 19:47

Oh, that button should not be in the "Rename Tab" menu item! Something has not been reset. Fix coming...

SammaySarkar
Posts: 4205
Joined: 12 Mar 2014 17:27
Location: Asteroid B-612 / Dhaka
Contact:

Re: Colored Tab

Post by SammaySarkar » 14 May 2019 20:26

Wowee! Nice!

Essential enhancements: Location-based colors. Color definition via tab title rename or in some alternate scriptable way.

JLoftus
Posts: 242
Joined: 22 Jan 2014 14:58

Re: colored tab, or at least a separator

Post by JLoftus » 15 May 2019 00:03

admin wrote:
14 May 2019 17:45
Done. 8)
Thank you so much, Don!

JLoftus
Posts: 242
Joined: 22 Jan 2014 14:58

Re: Colored Tab

Post by JLoftus » 15 May 2019 00:34

Been playing with this, and it's great. I have been hoping for colored tabs for a long time, and again, I thank you.

If I could be greedy enough to ask if there was any way you could ever incorporate an RGB picker for this?

yuyu
Posts: 62
Joined: 19 Jun 2018 12:40

Re: Colored Tab

Post by yuyu » 15 May 2019 02:15

Great, thanks!
It seems that if "Match selected tab with breadcrumb bar" in "Configuration | Colors and Styles | Colors" is checked it should still take priority over tab coloring.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47464
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Colored Tab

Post by admin » 15 May 2019 09:00

yuyu wrote:
15 May 2019 02:15
It seems that if "Match selected tab with breadcrumb bar" in "Configuration | Colors and Styles | Colors" is checked it should still take priority over tab coloring.
Really? I'm not so sure. I think you will always want to identify your colored tabs by the color.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47464
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Colored Tab

Post by admin » 15 May 2019 09:01

JLoftus wrote:
15 May 2019 00:34
If I could be greedy enough to ask if there was any way you could ever incorporate an RGB picker for this?
Where/How do you see this RGB picker?

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47464
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Colored Tab

Post by admin » 15 May 2019 09:03

SammaySarkar wrote:
14 May 2019 20:26
Essential enhancements: Location-based colors. Color definition via tab title rename or in some alternate scriptable way.
Location-based colors: That would be a different feature IMO.

Yep, I'll add a scriptable way.

JLoftus
Posts: 242
Joined: 22 Jan 2014 14:58

Re: Colored Tab

Post by JLoftus » 15 May 2019 11:51

admin wrote:
15 May 2019 09:01
JLoftus wrote:
15 May 2019 00:34
If I could be greedy enough to ask if there was any way you could ever incorporate an RGB picker for this?
Where/How do you see this RGB picker?
Googling for "VB6 color picker" shows up a few:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/632 ... asic-6-vb6
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=8381
https://tinyurl.com/yyj544zm
https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1536672

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47464
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Colored Tab

Post by admin » 15 May 2019 12:12

Uhm, could it be that you missed the Select Color... button?
Attachments
2019-05-15_121223.png
2019-05-15_121223.png (6.49 KiB) Viewed 224 times

JLoftus
Posts: 242
Joined: 22 Jan 2014 14:58

Re: Colored Tab

Post by JLoftus » 15 May 2019 14:19

admin wrote:
15 May 2019 12:12
Uhm, could it be that you missed the Select Color... button?
facepalm. Indeed I did! Sorry about that!

klownboy
Posts: 2738
Joined: 28 Feb 2012 19:27

Re: Colored Tab

Post by klownboy » 15 May 2019 16:06

yuyu wrote:
15 May 2019 02:15
It seems that if "Match selected tab with breadcrumb bar" in "Configuration | Colors and Styles | Colors" is checked it should still take priority over tab coloring.
Don, after using the new color tab feature for a couple of days, I have to agree with the above at least in part. Ideally for consistency and to be able to quickly know which is the selected tab, we should be able to have the selected tab always be the same color (both text and background) no matter how you have colored the tabs. So under Configuration > Color for the "Selected tab color" and "Selected tab background", that should definitely take priority over the individual colors we assign to the tabs. So essentially the color of the individual tabs is not used when the tab is selected. As long as I have that I'm not sure about the option to match the breadcrumb. The above color settings priority would be enough for me.

JLoftus
Posts: 242
Joined: 22 Jan 2014 14:58

Re: Colored Tab

Post by JLoftus » 15 May 2019 16:09

klownboy wrote:
15 May 2019 16:06
yuyu wrote:
15 May 2019 02:15
It seems that if "Match selected tab with breadcrumb bar" in "Configuration | Colors and Styles | Colors" is checked it should still take priority over tab coloring.
Don, after using the new color tab feature for a couple of days, I have to agree with the above at least in part. Ideally for consistency and to be able to quickly know which is the selected tab, we should be able to have the selected tab always be the same color (both text and background) no matter how you have colored the tabs. So under Configuration > Color for the "Selected tab color" and "Selected tab background", that should definitely take priority over the individual colors we assign to the tabs. So essentially the color of the individual tabs is not used when the tab is selected. As long as I have that I'm not sure about the option to match the breadcrumb. The above color settings priority would be enough for me.
I'm not sure I would agree with that for my usage. If I set tab colors, it's for some use case, and changing that color based on selected status breaks that model. I agree having the selected tab stand out is good, but for me, overriding the custom color I assign is the wrong way to do that. The selected tab is already a few pixels taller, and is bolded text, visual cues that help it stand out.

klownboy
Posts: 2738
Joined: 28 Feb 2012 19:27

Re: Colored Tab

Post by klownboy » 15 May 2019 16:36

I guess we could easily argue that 'till we're blue in the face, but I still disagree. I think it's more important to quickly and easily detect the selected tab. I don't like bolding the text (that's only an option) so all you have remaining to distinguish the selected tab is the small increase in height. Maybe the solution Don would be as simple as having the current "Selected tab text and background" under Configuration > Colors be an option or tweak (i.e., these colors do or do not take priority over individual tab colors). I can see both points of view honestly.

Post Reply