Dropping Emails from Outlook

Features wanted...
davidwtc

Dropping Emails from Outlook

Post by davidwtc »

I love the ability to drop emails from Outlook complete with the date. I prefer my files to sort chronologically, so I always begin the the date thus: YYYY-MM-DD. In Tools>Configuration>Templates, I modified the "Dropped Messages" filename template thus:

<date yyyy-mm-dd> <from> to <to> <subject>

If works great for message received, but not for sent messages. The date shown for received messages is always the date received. (I am trying to clean up my Inbox and drop messages into correspondence folders by client.) But for sent messages, the date is always the date the message is dragged and dropped. I suspect a bug, but maybe I am missing something.

RalphM

Re: Dropping Emails from Outlook

Post by RalphM »

Just tested myself with the following template:

Code: Select all

<subject>_<date yyyy-mm-dd_hh-nn-ss>_fr_<from>_to_<to>
...and it worked a treat, i.e. the date is the exact date/time the message was sent.

Maybe you need to provide a bit more info on the rest of your system as in OS version & bitness, Outlook version & bitness, XY version.
For mine see signature and Outlook is 2013 32bit.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

davidwtc

Post by davidwtc »

Thanks, Ralph, for the response.

Once again today, dragged that I had sent came up with today's date, no matter when they were sent.

I am running Windows 10 professional, 64 bit
Outlook 2016 (32 bit)
XYplorer 19.5

Love XYplorer. Great program. Thanks again for it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like the sent-date/time cannot be retrieved for unknown reasons. In that case the app falls back to the current date/time.

I might be able to react smarter but I don't have Outlook so I cannot just do it. Hence a question: Is that date contained somewhere in the top section of the contents of the file? IOW could there be a way to extract it from the contents?

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

I just dropped a sent message and looked at it in raw view which gave me the following display of exactly the date the message had been sent (which in my case XY extracts correctly to build the filename for the new file).
PicPick_432.jpg
PicPick_432.jpg (19.77 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
The only problem I see with this approach is that the format seems to be code-page dependent.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. Well, I think it would be madness to spend hours on this. Win10 should just fix their shit... :blackstorm:

davidwtc

Post by davidwtc »

Thanks for looking at it.

XYplorer is a great program. Don't leave home without it.

Sebastian81

Post by Sebastian81 »

Hi,

just found the drag&drop possibility from outlook. Amazing for office guys like us, who have to backup everything locally for the other coalleagues. We are wondering if we can add some more comments/actions?

First requests would be:
- The possibility to limit the total number of characters. To avoid issues resulting from longer subjects and thus long file names.
- The possibility to open a window after drag&Drop and manually put in the subject.

Every support would be highly welcome.

regards
Sebastian

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Sebastian,
Sebastian81 wrote: 08 Mar 2019 17:25 First requests would be:
- The possibility to limit the total number of characters. To avoid issues resulting from longer subjects and thus long file names.
- The possibility to open a window after drag&Drop and manually put in the subject.
1. Okay, could be done.
2. Hm, that sounds a bit exotic. Why not just press F2 and rename?

Sebastian81

Post by Sebastian81 »

Hi,

thank you for the fast response.

To 1. Can we do the programming by ourself or do you have to change the software?
To 2. What commonly happens is, that:
a) subjects are changed due to all the automatic addings like Re./Fwd./Answ./[sener unverified etc.] etc. If a window opens with the
current subject, you can easily modify by deleting what is not really necessary.
b) a subject has no real meaning and need to be modified for several Emails. Then you can just easy use copy and paste.

For our business, an Email without a correct subject is not really helpful (evrybody having a look to the folder needs to see directly where to find [for example] order, quotation, time shedule etc. . Therefore, we change/modify nearly all subjects. I used a macro for Oulook once, which allowed exactly this function and that was very helpful. Issue with the software I mentioned was, that no drag and drop was allowed. That is the big advantage of your software.

kind regards
Sebastian

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. I would have to add that feature.

2. What if you drop many emails at once? Open a window for each?

Sebastian81

Post by Sebastian81 »

Hi,

yes.
But you can add it as an option to allow people who just want to get id of a whole bunch of Emails to avoid this option. Still, if the subject-window opens and you have to release using [return] you can be quite fast.

Just wrote a an Email including my contact Emails to support@xyplorer.com . Would appreciate to get a call back.

kind regards
Sebastian

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sebastian81 wrote: 08 Mar 2019 17:25 - The possibility to limit the total number of characters. To avoid issues resulting from longer subjects and thus long file names.
Well, found a cool way to even fulfill the 2nd wish. All done in v19.80.0107. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sebastian81 wrote: 11 Mar 2019 13:56 a) subjects are changed due to all the automatic addings like Re./Fwd./Answ./[sener unverified etc.] etc. If a window opens with the
current subject, you can easily modify by deleting what is not really necessary.
BTW, I could automate this to a high degree. Interested?

Sebastian81

Post by Sebastian81 »

Hi,

I am fully overwhelmed about all the excellent changes :D That will make it much more easier for us to achieve our outlook emails in our network folders. :appl:
admin wrote: 16 Mar 2019 18:46
Sebastian81 wrote: 11 Mar 2019 13:56 a) subjects are changed due to all the automatic addings like Re./Fwd./Answ./[sener unverified etc.] etc. If a window opens with the
BTW, I could automate this to a high degree. Interested?
I am not so sure, what this would mean!?

Sebastian