[SOLVED] Toggle Favorite File/Folder: status message covered by "Settings saved"

Features wanted...
Leito

[SOLVED] Toggle Favorite File/Folder: status message covered by "Settings saved"

Post by Leito »

Currently, when using the commands "Toggle Favorite File" and "Toggle Favorite Folder", the following message is displayed on the status bar: "settings saved: Favorites"

It would be nice to have a more detailed message showing the item path and the action (add/remove). For instance:
  • "Added C:\Windows to Favorite Folders"
  • "Removed C:\Windows\System from Favorite Folders"
  • "Added C:\Windows\explorer.exe to Favorite Files"
  • "Removed C:\Windows\twain_32.dll from Favorite Files"
Sometimes I'm unsure if I just added or removed the file/folder to my Favorites, and I have to go check by editing the list.
Last edited by Leito on 28 Jan 2019 08:10, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Toggle Favorite File/Folder: more informative status message

Post by admin »

That's because you ticked this: Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Save Settings | Save changes to disk immediately
One status eats the previous status...

Leito

Post by Leito »

Indeed. Damn, I don't know which feature is more important to me now...

Would it be hard to combine the messages?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have some ideas for this, but they are all kind of hard to do. Waiting for one that is so good that I just HAVE to do it...

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

@Leito: is it just about this specific example? Depending on what actions and how fast one performs them the messages could eat each other quite often, couldn't they (especially with scripting)?

I've sometimes wished there was/is a history of status messages I could expand with a sort of pull-down (well, flipping upwards) menu.

Leito

Post by Leito »

Filehero wrote: 25 Jan 2019 19:33 @Leito: is it just about this specific example? Depending on what actions and how fast one performs them the messages could eat each other quite often, couldn't they (especially with scripting)?
You are absolutely right. For now, it's the only case where I've noticed it and where it "bothers" me, but I guess there could easily be some other examples falling into that behavior.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

A Wickie/Vicky moment: a status message ticker! :mrgreen:

Given the space restrictions that's a tough thing when cost-benefit ratio is important (it is - mostly/always).

Fact: we only have the time and space (for message display) domain.

Leaving the principle of displaying only one message (after another) unchanged would require introducing a combination of status message categories/priorities to decide what is to prompt for a given interval. From my own experiences, that's begging for troubles. Everything screams for customization: the categories, the interval length etc.; finally, somebody (me) asks for an option to change all of them temporarily in scripts. :whistle: :oops:
And after all you end up with a fast sequence of equally prioritized messages - and it starts all over again. :blackstorm:

Either a plain history with a simple access, or a smarter approach indicating message bursts on the UI.
Of course, the latter again rests upon the time domain as a burst is defined by a frequency threshold. The indicator, for example, could be a simple char (suffix "*"), an (overlay) icon or change of text color. All of them could render the status message icon a clickable button that opens the (recent) status message history.

My favorite is a dynamically resizing status message area (a line-limited popup expanding upwards) which consecutively shows all messages triggered within a given time (a FIFO queue with a display for the last x entries))

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Thanks for the Wickie reference - so did you rub your nose for this idea??? :biggrin:
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, for the time being I went for a simple way to make things a little better... next beta...

Leito

Post by Leito »

Code: Select all

v19.50.0244 - 2019-01-26 14:52
    * Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Save Settings | Save changes to 
      disk immediately: Now the Status Bar message "saving settings..." does 
      not eat the previous and probably more interesting message anymore, but 
      only temporarily covers it. When the saving is done the resulting message 
      "settings saved: [type]" is appended to the previous message.
Perfect! Thanks :beer: