DPI scaling in multiple monitors

Features wanted...
Fontanapink

DPI scaling in multiple monitors

Post by Fontanapink »

Hello,
Is there any idea if this will be implemented soon in XYplorer? I am currently on trial mode on XYplorer and Opus Directory trying to decide which one I am going to buy. I way prefer XYplorer over Opus but this error in scaling when using multiple screens is a deal breaker for me.

Thank you for your excellent work!
Pedro

Meldiesal

Re: DPI scaling in multiple monitors

Post by Meldiesal »

Hi Pedro,

Have you tried using the high DPI settings compatibility mode? It seems to fix the scaling issues for me.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.13 KiB) Viewed 4991 times

jupe

Post by jupe »

Not sure of your exact issues since you didn't bother to mention them, so this info may or may not help, but if you are interested you can disable XY's scaling altogether with the following tweak, and then rely on your OS for scaling:

NoAutoScaling=1

for instructions on how to tweak:
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak

Fontanapink

Post by Fontanapink »

More details? Of course! So I use my laptop in many offices, and whenever I connect my laptop to any other screen this is what XYPlorer looks like in different situations:

--- ) Without the Override high DPI scaling to System (enhanced or otherwise) and AutoScaling == 0:
Looks perfect on my laptop
When moved to mirror screen, Text is huge, Icons are HUGE, scroll bars are abnormally big and everything looks so very out of scale. Simply horrible.

--- ) With Override high DPI scaling to System (enhanced or otherwise):
Laptop looks perfect
Mirror screen: I don't even know how to describe this https://imgur.com/Mq6aHXO . Look at the text, look at the icons.

--- ) With AutoScaling == 1 and no override high DPI scaling:

Mirror screen: https://imgur.com/NkA1B8a like that... That is a print screen of the whole 32 inch screen, so you can imagine the size of the things.

--- ) With AutoScaling == 1 and Override high DPI scaling to System (enhanced or otherwise):
Looks "fine" in the mirror screen, but if I move it to my laptop, the quality is awful and all the text is blurry

Fontanapink

Post by Fontanapink »

Please help, only 6 more days of trial

remmons

Post by remmons »

Meldiesal wrote: 24 Jan 2019 01:01 Hi Pedro,

Have you tried using the high DPI settings compatibility mode? It seems to fix the scaling issues for me.

Capture.JPG
Thanks for the info. I was having the same problem as Pedro, and your suggestion fixed it for me.

FYI. When I first tried it with "Systmem Enhanced" chosen, it did not seem to fix it. I tried selecting "System". That fixed it. I switched back to selecting "System Enhanced" and it continued to be fixed.

Fontanapink

Post by Fontanapink »

It doesn't work at all.

That's a pity, my free license expires today. Is there a mailing list to when this is solved? maybe I'll but it then.

Thanks for the replies though

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just delete your trial and reinstall. Gets you 30 more days. :)

Try the newest version (v19.60.0100) and tell me if the problem persists. If yes I'm going to fix it.

Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Any update or news on this?
viewtopic.php?t=18229
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16241

I've got similar issues as this topic and the above that I added. I've been testing and trying to fix this. At the moment I think I tried all possible options and have the best results for xyplorer with the xyplorer.exe compatibility -> change high dpi settings -> override high dpi scaling behavior, scaling performed by "system" in windows 10.
Unfortunately this works well for XYplorer but not for all microsoft documents that I open from within XYplorer because these tend to follow these same settings and their scaling is not right anymore. So, this doesn't work.

My device is a microsoft surface pro with a native high dpi screen (primary screen) and I usually have a second lower resolution screen connected as secondary (cannot make it primary because I am a mobile worker).

Could I try another workaround or is there a new feature coming to support DPI scaling in multiple monitors?

sj515064

Post by sj515064 »

This issue partly comes from the fact that XY uses a key-value configuration for the size of toolbar icons, although it is able to automatically set the toolbar icon size according to the resolution of the screen. For example, on high-res devices like Microsoft Surface, the toolbar icon size is automatically set to "Extra large", while on others it is "Large". However, this adaption seems to be one-time and not dynamic. If the key-value set of the icon size already exists in the ini file, then XY does not change it.

This is OK, but not perfect, and in some circumstances it can be problematic. The key-value configuration means that XY can only use one kind of icon size at one time. What if the machine comes with two screens with two different resolutions? Using one kind of icon size, be it "Extra large" or "Large", will result in displaying problems in one of the screens.

The radical solution is to abandon the one-time detection of screen resolution, and persistent setting of toolbar icon size through key-values. Rather, for each instance of XY, the icon size should always be set dynamically, based on detection of the screen resolution, upon events like startup and changing of the position of the application Window (which may induce changing of the screen resolution).

Last but not least, if automatic adaption is used, then there should be another option for users to overwrite this behavior, in case that some users prefer manual setting of the icon size.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It wouldn't be hard for me to make toolbar size dynamic (optionally). It's true that currently it's only checked one time on a fresh install.

I could add a small menu with three radio options (the first one is how it's currently done):

- Fixed [dynamic on the first startup] [Default]
- Dynamic on each startup
- Dynamic while running

sj515064

Post by sj515064 »

Hope this won't make the configuration dialogue too overwhelming.

For "Dynamic while running", two cases are possible:
1. The user changes the DPI of the screen purposely.
2. There are two screens with different DPI, and the user drags the XY window from one to another.
(More rarely, the XY window can be split between two screens, with one half in each.)

Will XY be able to handle such circumstances properly? Even if it can, rareness makes them too trivial to be considered.

So, maybe detection and adaption on startup would suffice? As below:
- Fixed [dynamic on the first startup] [Default]
- Dynamic on each startup

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had a different idea in the meantime. Just add one option to the menu:

Autosize Buttons
Small Buttons
Large Buttons
Extra Large Buttons

Philippe

Post by Philippe »

The ideas look good to me!
Would this working towards the solution with the toolbar also fix the scaling with the fonts, scrollbar and menu sizes?
If yes, then I am looking forward to the solution and I would be happy to beta test the feature if needed!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, step by step...