Stop search results list refreshing when deleting file

Features wanted...
Millzey

Stop search results list refreshing when deleting file

Post by Millzey »

An option to not have search results update when deleting one or multiple files one after another would be helpful here. Everytime I delete a file it reruns the entire search. A cached search of about 170,000 files is only taking about 4-5 seconds but I lose my place in the list and have to wait.

I could select all the files I want to delete first, but, one or two at a time allows me to go to a different task and come back without worrying about losing selection or the search results, or forgeting to delete. Then I can continue down the search results list repeating select and delete.
Last edited by Millzey on 17 Feb 2019 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Re: Search results wont refresh when deleting file

Post by highend »

Search result caching is enabled and the maximum number of items is set to 0?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

Yep.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not to refresh after a delete would be confusing and look like a bug.

Millzey

Post by Millzey »

If the delete operation could remove successfully deleted items from the search results without rerunning the search that would be a major help. If thats programatically reasonable, then maybe forcing a refresh of the search results after a tweakable about time like 5 minutes since it was last refreshed would then avoid any undesired confusion. Probably alot to ask for I know but if you cant perform delete or rename on a search that encompasses many files without it searching all over again it makes the search feature really frustrating to work with.

jupe

Post by jupe »

FYI you could get the behavior you are wanting by scripting your search and putting the results into a paperfolder, it would only be a couple scripting lines.

And if you didn't want to script the whole thing (including the searching) below is a quick example, because if you did it like this example you would just run your search as per normal and then with the search results tab active, run this: paperfolder("SearchResults", listpane(), "|");

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Millzey wrote: 17 Feb 2019 03:14 If the delete operation could remove successfully deleted items from the search results without rerunning the search that would be a major help. If thats programatically reasonable, then maybe forcing a refresh of the search results after a tweakable about time like 5 minutes since it was last refreshed would then avoid any undesired confusion. Probably alot to ask for I know but if you cant perform delete or rename on a search that encompasses many files without it searching all over again it makes the search feature really frustrating to work with.
Now that you say it: This is already happening! Since 20050219!

So the question is: Why doesn't it work in your case? :eh: