Restore list scroll position when untoggling Live Filter

Features wanted...
elqasar2

Restore list scroll position when untoggling Live Filter

Post by elqasar2 »

When toggling a Live Filter off, I see that the list scrolls in such a way so that the lowest down match in the list is now showing at the top of the list.

I think it would be better if it scrolled so that the highest up (i.e. the first) match is shown at the top of the list after toggling off the Live Filter. Or arguably even have it restore the scroll position from before the Live Filter was applied. Either of these 2 possibilities would be better than what currently happens.

Malarki

Re: Restore list scroll position when untoggling Live Filter

Post by Malarki »

I vote for the second choice here, at least as a tweak: scroll to last position after break from Live Filter.

My use case now is having about 1500 files in a List pane. I sort that by 'Modified' to have the ones I'm working on at the top. Live Filter is great for quickly checking eg. for dupes or related filenames. But after a Live Filter - even if I have selected none of what were found - it leaves me scrolled way down in the list.

So I have to find and grab the scroll bar and drag it up to the top. OFC I could create a CTB and / or hotkey to work around this.

--> But I submit that if nothing is selected during a Live Filter, breaking from it should take us back where we were.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try this: Configuration | Find and Filter | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Live Filter Box | Auto-select first match

Malarki

Post by Malarki »

Thanks but no. That setting works as advertised - on break from Live Filter it sits at the first match found under LF. Which is the opposite of what I want.

I want break from LF to return to where I was before LF (assuming I selected nothing while in LF). I often use LF to just take a look at prior files, in a string of thousands of them. Currently, I have to navigate back to where I had been before looking.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I added something experimentally to the next beta. However, it will only work when in the moment of removing the filter there are no selections. Better:

Code: Select all

+ Live Filter Box: Now when the filter is removed, the last scroll position of the 
      unfiltered list is restored (it's even remembered across tab switches and sessions). 
      Exception: If an item is focused AND selected at the moment the filter is removed, 
      that item will be scrolled into view.
Works well, I like it. Good improvement! :tup:

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

admin wrote: 07 Sep 2022 19:24 Works well, I like it. Good improvement! :tup:
Haven't tried it yet, but glad to see there's been some movement on my idea I suggested 4 years ago, and which received no reply :whistle: :beer:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's not published yet. Next beta...

Malarki

Post by Malarki »

New beta v23.60.0005 does what I asked, thank you. On a break from Live Filter (if I didn't select anything the filter found) it returns me to the area of the list where I had been.

However, it does lose any selection that I had. I didn't think to mention that at first. Maybe you can change that too.

Anyway, thanks for the rapid update which is very helpful as-is.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Malarki wrote: 08 Sep 2022 08:46 However, it does lose any selection that I had. I didn't think to mention that at first. Maybe you can change that too.
Indeed, there will be neither focused nor selected item anymore. <curitem> comes back empty. I don't like it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Malarki wrote: 08 Sep 2022 08:46 However, it does lose any selection that I had.
That was the case before as well. :? Selections that don't pass the filter are lost.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 08 Sep 2022 09:03
Malarki wrote: 08 Sep 2022 08:46 However, it does lose any selection that I had.
That was the case before as well. :? Selections that don't pass the filter are lost.
Ah, yes, the focus remains on a filtered item. Actually what is the rule? Which filtered item will be focused, if the Auto-select first is not set? For me it changes. (Edit: actually the focus tries to remain in the same position as long as possible. So if the focus was in the third row when I started the live filtering, until the list contains less than 3 items, it remains in the third row.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's true. Probably would be better to just focus the first item, right?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 08 Sep 2022 10:41 That's true. Probably would be better to just focus the first item, right?
It is exactly what I thought.