> If drives like for instance USB drives aren't recognized by your program
> because there is a file relocation error or something else, meaning it
> won't appear in the list of the drives, however Windows recognizes the
> drive in the harddrive in the harddrive manager; if this occurs
> it would be nice if XYplorer would also have access to these deeper
> Windows resources and show the file, even if it cannot get access to it
> immediately.
>
> Usually what a windows user has to do in order to get the drive running correctly
> again is to run chdsk on it and then file relocation errors or other
> problems are being correctly by Windows. Maybe it would be possible to show the drive and
> include this chdsk directly into right click within your program. So two
> steps: show the drive despite its problems and secondly enable chdsk
> directly within the right click list.
>
> That way Users wouldn't have to check in the internet how to solve these
> relatively frequent problems.

RalphM

Re: chdsk via right click

Post by RalphM »

Welcome to the forum!

Did you really intend to use this rather disrespecting tone in your first post ever?

FWIW, I never had such problem with any of the USB drives I plugged into one of my systems (over the last 10 years or so...) but then I guess I'm just lucky and should shut up before I jinx it. Further, I'm pretty sure the command you're referring to is named CHKDSK for Check Disk.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

achim-martin

Post by achim-martin »

Yes, you're right, it's chkdsk of course.

What do you mean by claiming my email had a "disrespecting tone"? This is a forum for requests, isn't it? I read my former email again and sorry, cannot find any disrespectfulness in it, whatsoever. :naughty:

The solution to run chkdsk on such a drive was not a solution, because the program would not even show the drive when corrupted. For some reason it's in the harddrive monitor of windows, but would not appear in the explorer or your program. So if xyplorer would find drives from the harddrive monitor and make it visible one could easily have access to it and fix the problem.

Anyhow, wish you all the best.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

well XYplorer is not a partition manager.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Hi achim-martin

On second read I agree with your assessment.
Apologies, I must have had my over-sensitive hat on when I wrote that reply. :oops:

I agree with Sammay that this might be a specialized task slightly out of the usual scope of a file manager but it's ultimately the developers decision whether he considers to include something like this.
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

achim-martin

Post by achim-martin »

Thanks for the reply!

Well, to be frank, the misunderstanding may be the result of my upbringing - I'm german, and we are more straight forward in our language.

The reason I posted this request in the first place is simply, that XYplorer is a paid program, other alternatives may be available for free. Services like digging deeper and providing a more complete service a a big incentive to purchase. However, you'r both correct of course, that this would mean parts of the program would need to dive deep - in this case the Hardward Monitor of windows. I'm not a programer and have no idea what's possible and what not; still since I'm a computer user almost since the beginning of pc's I am aware, that sometimes things are possible that no one considered or even thought of before, so maybe... :whistle:

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

I'm usually aware and used to the German straightforwardness - myself having grown up in the German part of that small country south of yours.

As you might be aware there is a lot that can be done via scripting in XY but when it comes to react to system events outside of what XY is monitoring you might be out of luck. There's certainly no problem in starting chkdsk from within XY but to know when a plugged in usb disk might need this attention.