Drag and drop from zip archive creates copies

Features wanted...
yuyu

Drag and drop from zip archive creates copies

Post by yuyu »

Wnen opening zip file in Windows Explorer or 7-zip and dragging its contents to a folder where files with the same names already exist XYplorer creates "copies" of files there named according to the template like "file-01", without asking for confirmation (overwrite? suffix? and so on). The same thing occures when dragging from preview pane. Does not matter if custom copy is enabled or not. All other drag-n-drop operations between "normal" folders work as expected. Is this by design or I miss something?

jupe

Re: Drag and drop from zip archive creates copies

Post by jupe »

That is how it works currently for those apps, you haven't missed a setting, I use WinRAR and I do get a collision dialog, if you want I can move this to the Wishes forum, if you want to see if the developer could possibly add a collision dialog in this scenario, if it is something you do regularly.

yuyu

Post by yuyu »

Thank you. Tried WinRAR and the dialog appears. Yes, I would wish to see this behavior also with other applications dealing with zip archives, in other words every time XYplorer copies extracted files from TEMP folder, a copy/collision dialog shoud be triggered if so is checked in preferences.
It's great if you could move this to the wishes section. Do I need to edit my post somehow for this to be done?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yes WinRAR uses the TEMP folder and then moves the files to the extraction location like you mentioned, I am not 100% about the other apps (7-Zip + Windows Zip handler) but I think they somehow must do it directly, without using the temp folder, that is that is the reason why you get no collision dialog, but I am only guessing.

The developer will reply here if implementing this is possible.

yuyu

Post by yuyu »

In case of Windows Explorer the extracted files appear in %TEMP%\Temp1_X.zip folder. And sorry, actually in 7-zip case the dialogs do appear, both XY copy confirmation and standard Windows copy/replace dialog afterwards.